Part 1: The Gatekeeper

As the sun began to set, the lights in a certain mansion flickered on. The mistress of the household was preparing for an evening flight, and had sent her servant to the Human Village to purchase some goods. The mistress in question was a young-looking girl, clad in a white and red dress, with a mob cap. Her hair was a light blue, while her eyes were a striking red. The faintest tip of a fang peeked out from under her lip. Most noticeably of all, large, black bat wings protruded from her shoulders. Her name was Remilia Scarlet, and she was a vampire, as well as the head and one of the two primary inhabitants of the Scarlet Devil Mansion. Behind her, the building loomed in the darkness.
    It was a grand, older-looking building, perhaps something that would have been built in the earlier days of Europe. The walls were painted a dark red, and a large clock tower rose from the back of the mansion. Presently, the girl stood outside of the main entrance - a large, black, wrought-iron gate, with walls extending in either direction beyond. As she stretched her wings, she looked to her left. A slight expression of annoyance spread across her face as she stared at the woman standing next to her.
    The woman was clad in an all-green dress, wearing a similar cap with a Chinese character that read "Dragon". She also wore simple black flats on her feet. Her hair was a reddish-orange, and in front, she wore two braids, tied with black bows. In the back, her long hair flowed down to her waist. Her arms were crossed under her chest as she stood, and had it not been for one detail, Remilia would have simply taken flight. However...
    "Meiling!" Remilia said sharply.
    The woman, known as Meiling, jerked suddenly, and her eyes, which had been fully closed, suddenly flew open. She said loudly "I'm awake! I wasn't sleeping!" to no one in particular. Her heart sank a bit as she noticed her mistress standing next to her, staring up at her with a look of disapproval. "Y-Young Mistress!" She said nervously, bowing. "How can I help you?"
    Remilia sighed, and responded "For starters, you can stay awake."
    Meiling stammered "A-awake? I uh...I-I wasn't-" Remilia held up a hand, and Meiling mumbled sullenly "Yes, ma'am."
    "You know I don't care, but if Sakuya had come back she'd expect me to punish you, and I greatly dislike doing that." She stated. "I am going out for a nighttime flight. I expect you to keep the gate secure while I'm gone. Let no one in or out, as always."
    Meiling stood at attention and saluted. "Y-yes, Mistress!" She then managed a smile and tried, in a conciliatory tone, "Have a safe flight!" Remilia merely nodded, then pushed off the ground, taking to the skies. Soon, she was gone from sight.
    Meiling sighed. "I know I'm supposed to be awake, but it's not as if there are any real threats to the mansion... The only intruder is that magician, and I still can't win against her in danmaku..." She scratched her head, and murmured "I suppose it's more for appearances and reputation...Ah well. I don't mind. Besides, soon I'll get to go to bed anyway..."
    She looked around, then, something caught her eye. A glint of metal, a flash of color...but as she turned to look, it was gone. She closed her eyes and focused, trying to home in on any unusual qi, the life force that every living being exuded. However, nothing seemed out of the ordinary, and she soon opened her eyes again. "Hm. I could have sworn..." Her thoughts were interrupted by someone calling her name. "Meiling! I brought you your dinner!"
    Meiling turned, and saw a woman with bright red hair and bat wings protruding from her head flying toward her, with a small picnic basket in hand. The woman wore a black skirt and a suit, and, like Remilia, had a set of larger bat wings protruding from her shoulders.
    "Koakuma! How are things?" Meiling asked, taking the basket.
    "Oh, the same as ever. We're still trying to figure out what Marisa took last time she was here...Miss Patchouli is getting irritated, and when she gets irritated...well, I told her to sit and rest a bit." Koakuma said sheepishly. "But, you know how she gets..."
    Meiling chuckled. "Yeah, I do. What did you bring this time?" She asked, opening the basket.
    "Some salmon, steak, rice balls...oh, and, Miss Sakuya made a cake today, so we saved you a slice."
    Meiling's eyes lit up as she scanned the contents. "Man, Sakuya's cooking really is the best... I'll have to thank her when she gets back. And thank you, Koakuma, for bringing me this!"
    Koakuma smiled. "I would have brought you tea, too, but..."
    Meiling shook her head. "It's fine. You know how I am about that. Still, I hope you're not being worked too hard?"
   "Oh no. It's mostly the same tasks this week around. Organizing, shelving new entries, changing the lightbulbs...That sort of thing. Plus...I get to spend more time with Miss Patchouli..." Koakuma mumbled, blushing slightly.
    Meiling, who had already bitten into a piece of salmon, asked "Mhat waf thath latht par?"
    Koakuma squeaked. "Nothing! I didn't say anything. I, uh...I-I should be getting back! Lots to do! Enjoy, Meiling!" She waved, before quickly flying back to the mansion.
    Meiling gulped, and for a few moments, stared in Koakuma's direction, then chuckled. "She still won't openly admit it, huh...Do your best, Koakuma. You've got this." She gazed up at the sky, and murmured "Still...the moon sure is beautiful tonight."

---

    After an hour or two, Remilia returned, landing in front of the gate. "Hello again, Meiling."
    Meiling saluted and replied "Hello, again, Miss Remilia! How was your flight?" She inquired. Suddenly, without warning, another woman instantaneously appeared next to Remilia, and Meiling yelled in shock, stumbling backward.
    The woman was dressed in a blue maid uniform, and her hair was a bright silver. Like Meiling, her hair was tied in two front braids, but the bows were green. Her hair was also shorter, closer to neck or shoulder length. She opened her eyes, and sharply gazed at Meiling.
    "M-M-Miss Sakuya!" Meiling choked out, before breathing a sigh of relief. "I wish you wouldn't do that, you nearly scared me to death!"
    "If you were to die that easily, there would be no reason for your continued employment. I would hope you pull through." Sakuya said flatly. "As for her flight, Lady Remilia decided to go off her normal route without telling me..." She grumbled, glaring at Remilia, who quickly averted her gaze.
    "I go where I like, Sakuya. Leave me be." Remilia stated nonchalantly.
    Sakuya sighed in frustration. "Yes, Milady. Still, I wish you would exercise more caution. There are any number of youkai out there that could cause you harm."
    "Yes, but they won't. Not only because I'd win-" Remilia responded, and Meiling cracked a smile, trying not to laugh. "-But also because there's simply no reason to. We don't do anything that would seriously affect the other residents of Gensokyo. Anyone picking a fight at that point is just bull-headed and stubborn."
    Sakuya muttered "I can think of another individual..."
    Remilia gained a hollow grin and replied "What was that, Sakuya? Would you care to repeat what you said to your mistress?"
    Meiling let out a quiet snort, and Sakuya quickly responded "No, Mistress. I said nothing of importance."
    Remilia stared at Sakuya for a few more seconds, then turned away. "Hmph. As for you Meiling, I see you're awake and alert, as you should be."
    Meiling saluted to Remilia. "Y-yes, mistress! I wouldn't dream of falling asleep while you're away!"
    Sakuya glared at Meiling, but said nothing. "Of course not." Remilia answered. "Now, if you please, I'd like to relieve you of duty. I assume Koakuma already delivered your dinner, and the fairy maids have already tidied up your room. Head inside and get some rest."
    Meiling smiled gratefully and replied "Yes, of course, Milady. Have a pleasant evening." She bowed, then opened the gates, starting off toward the mansion.
    "You are too soft with her, Milady. She'll never learn discipline like this." Sakuya grumbled.
    "Oh, hush, Sakuya. You know as well as I do that guarding the gate isn't the only thing she does around here, and besides. It's not like anyone would attack us anyway; having Meiling around to guard is more symbolic than anything. I trust her...and I know you do as well." Remilia finished, giving Sakuya a pointed look.
    Sakuya sighed. "Correct as ever, Milady. Still, I wish she'd keep up better appearances..."
    Remilia waved her away. "Appearances are cheap. Action is what matters, and we already have enough grandeur, in any case. Having said that...you should go in and get some rest too, Sakuya. You're still human, even despite your strength."
    Sakuya bowed, and replied "Yes, Milady. Good evening." She then simply disappeared, as if she had never been there at all.
    Remilia then turned her gaze to the mansion. "...Meiling, huh... Given what she is...I don't really care one way or the other. Though I suppose I don't know everything..."

---

    Meiling hung up her uniform, and began to change into a t-shirt and boxers, as she thought of the night's exchanges. "Sakuya, Lady Remilia, Patchouli, Koakuma, and..." Meiling paused, smiling as she thought of one of the residents in particular. "...I really do love them all. Even despite our occasional fights... I wouldn't give them up for the world." As she crawled into bed and began to drift off, she sighed happily. "Tomorrow is another day, spent with everyone. I couldn't ask for more..."