(d) thirty three

Fortunately, there was no hiccup in our journey back to the North. The weather seemed to be in our favor as well which was a blessing really since England's sky could have the most horrific weather possible. I hadn't informed Dmitry or Trish or Miles simply because I wanted it to be a surprise. I parked my motorcycle in front of the packhouse and took off my helmet. I swung my leg and stood by my bike as I waited for the boys. 

Ryker's car came to view and he parked right next to my bike. Eros's black sports car joined us a mere seconds later. They both got out of the car but only Ryker was following me to the porch. I turned around and eyed my best friend, feeling rather confused. "Er, are you not coming with us inside?" 

He shook his head, still dangling around his car. I turned to Ryker. "You go in first. I'll talk to him before joining you in a wee bit." 

Ryker gave me a pat on the shoulder. "Wish me luck. I hope they would let me speak first before jumping on me or shooting me with silver darts," he said with a grin. 

There was very little chance that would happen but I wished him good luck nonetheless before I headed toward Eros. "What's wrong?" I leaned on his car, taking the empty spot beside him. 

"I can't get in there, Xy." He glanced at me, then fixed his gaze back on the packhouse. 

"What do you mean you can't get in there?" I let out an exasperated sigh. "Is this because of the whole wolf pack thing? You know they don't care if you're a member of the Erebus, right? I mean you've been here before, Er. You helped us and fought with us when those Night Walkers came here. No one will kick you out just because you're an Erebus, trust me." I ended my speech and hoped that it was enough to convince him. 

Apparently, I was sadly mistaken. "Those were two years ago, Xy. Now it's different. I've told you before. I've done things. Horrible things."

"Trust me, Er, you're a friend." I rolled my eyes out of frustration. "They won't care what you do for a living." 

This time, my best friend fully turned to face me and I was finally able to see the haunted look in those beautiful blue-green eyes. "I killed Alana Castor. Miles's older sister. An esteemed member of the Ethereal. Ryker's ex-fiancé. Should I list more of her titles so that you fully understand why I can't go through that door?" 

"I wouldn't call her 'an esteemed member of the Ethereal', that one was a bit much," I snorted and then heaved another sigh. "Yes, I get it. But she must have done something, right? You told me yourself that you were only after those people who had done terrible things and yet were above the law. I am sure if you explain to everyone, they would understand." 

Eros patted my head, just like he had always done in the past whenever I tried to win an argument that I evidently had lost and would never win. "Sometimes the reason behind one's action doesn't matter, Xy. Sometimes the fact that one actually did it is enough to set people off." 

I gave him a pointed look. "Er, come on. Are you seriously going to just stand here forever?" 

He gave me a look of incredulity as if I had grown a horn in the middle of my forehead in broad daylight. "Of course not, I am leaving." He opened his car door and held it open with one hand. "Let me know when you want to go to the West and I'll be there." 

"Eros Adler you are being utterly ridiculous." I crossed my arms and tried to block his way into his car. 

Eros placed his free hand on my shoulder and leaned down. His blue-green eyes leveled with mine. "Xy, trust me, it is better if I leave before anyone finds out that I am here."

"Eros!" It was a male voice coming from the packhouse. 

Both Eros and I turned to see Miles Castor standing on the porch. He was the one who had called Eros just now. I watched him clenching his jaw, his hand on my shoulder dropped to the side of his body. His face went much paler and it wasn't due to the cold air. There was this one look on Eros's face right now. A mix of guilt and surrender. Then as if he had made up his mind, he started walking toward the porch where Miles was standing. With each heavy step, I watched him uncomfortably straighten his back.