one | devils roll the dice, angels roll their eyes

It was Friday night when I decided that, once and for all, I wanted to have some fun. My friend, Davina Park, has convinced me to go to this new club downtown, and for the first time, I took her up on her offer. I would turn eighteen years old in two months' time, and I already had a boyfriend who wanted nothing but to get married as soon as we had our graduation ceremony in a fortnight.

Becoming his wife was something I wasn't entirely sure I was ready for. Because, for once, we have only been with each other for four months, which, in my opinion, was not enough to build a life together. Yet, no matter how many times I have told Brett Welsh about it, he always tried to talk me out of it. He kept on mentioning his own parents, who had married young and were only in their late thirties now. He talked about my dad and how marriage could be my way out of his controlling grip. To be fair, he hasn't always been like that. He has changed since my mom passed away when I was eight.

Taking a deep, calming breath, I shoved all these thoughts away and focused on getting ready for the evening. My dad was at his office downtown and he told me he would stay there all night. I had told him that Dav was going to come over for a sleepover, so this was a perfect plan. Knowing my impeccable records, my dad would not suspect a thing. After making sure that I looked decent by glancing at the mirror once, I grabbed my purse and heels and then headed downstairs.

By the time I opened the front door, Davina was already there waiting for me. "Girl, you took your time." She shook her head and then gave me a once-over. "You look nice though. I will give you that."

My best friend, Eros Adler, was supposed to come and pick us up, but he was running late. Dav suggested that I be the one to call him, claiming that he would pick it up once he saw it was my number and would even go over the mile and run a few lights just to get here. According to her, Eros had me up on his priority list, even higher than his girlfriend, Crystal. I honestly did not think it was the truth. Even if it was, I knew there was nothing romantic about it despite Dav's claim. After all, Eros and I have grown up together hence we indeed had a special bond. But it wasn't the romantic kind.

Almost a few heartbeats after I hit the call button, Eros's voice greeted me with a simple, "Hello."

"Oh, hi there," I stole a glance at Davina and watched her grinning from ear to ear, knowing that she has proven her point. I decided to ignore her. "Are you close?"

"Yep, look straight ahead," he said with a low chuckle. When I looked up, Eros had arrived and was getting out of his car while holding his phone to his ear. "Ready to go?"

After I ended the call, I nodded at him, put my phone in my purse, and turned to Davina. "Shall we?"

Davina giggled as she accepted my offer and linked her arms with mine. "We shall."

It did not take longer than fifteen minutes before the three of us got inside the club and it took lesser than that for Eros to get us our drinks with his ID. Technically he was three years older than the rest of us and unlike Davina and me, who needed fake IDs to get into the club, he simply had to flash his real one.

"What exactly did you tell Robert?" Eros asked curiously once he chugged half of his drink and hissed as the alcohol hit him hard.

"I told him that Dav and I are having a sleepover while he has his at the office," I answered truthfully and smiled when I saw Eros groan. He and my dad were really close and Eros was practically the only guy that my dad would trust me with. Sometimes their bond made me jealous because, on some occasions, it felt as if he was his child and not me. "Relax, I am not committing a felony or something. I was just going to a club." I watched the glass that I was holding and tried to guess what liquor Eros had gotten for me. Based on the transparent color, it could be vodka or gin.