three | don't wait, or say a single vow

XYRRA

I decided right then and there that today was not only the bride's worst nightmare, but it was also mine. Alana kept bawling her eyes out and no matter how many times I tried telling her that her groom was insane, she did not believe me. "You ruined this. Why do you even have to exist? We would have been happily married by now if it was not because of you!"

I knew I should be offended by her words. I mean, who the hell did she think she was to decide whether I existed?! And why would my existence make any difference when clearly it was her poor choice of groom that had gotten her to this mess in the first place? Still, I calmed myself down and told myself that it was not her fault that her future husband was demented and too spineless to call the wedding off before their wedding day. "Look, I don't care what he said, but I am not involved with him. I never was." I turned to Brett, who was looking at me with a deep frown in between his brows. "I'm with this guy. Brett is my boyfriend and, frankly speaking, I don't know your future husband."

"Don't you dare lie to me, you home wrecker!" Alana was flinging her hand at me and I was ready to put my arm up to evade her when someone grabbed my waist and pulled me tightly against his body.

I looked up past the broad shoulder and movie star jaw to catch a glimpse of his eyes, which I noticed were silver now. His face was tight, his free hand caught Alana's wrist. "Don't touch my mate, Alana," he growled. Whatever came out of his mouth was not human. I tried to pull away from his grip, but it only made him hold me tighter.

"Let go of her," said Brett, rising to his feet. He took a step forward and was face to face with the groom. "I said let go."

If I thought that Brett was defending me, I was sadly mistaken because the next second, his hand shot up and caught the groom's hand which was holding Alana's wrist. I stared at Brett in disbelief. At that moment, I knew where he stood and whose story he truthfully believed in. Still, it did not make it an easier pill to swallow. The guy who had promised to cherish me and wanted to build a life together with me once we graduated was now standing up for another girl instead of me. I always had my doubts when it came to him. It had always been in the back of my mind, but I had always ignored it. Now it was out in the open.

The groom released his hold of Alana's wrist and she massaged her wrist, which I now realized was red. Alana's eyes, however, were still glued on the groom. "You said you would give it a try. You said our love was enough." Another tear slipped out of one corner of her eye and I could not bear the pain on her face, so I shoved the groom away.

"I don't know what you are trying to pull here, but I am not going to stand here and let you blabber another lie. I don't know and I don't plan to. I am out of here." I shook my head and then turned to Brett. The sweet boyfriend who I thought would never hurt me was now looking at me like he could not recognize me, like I was a stranger to him. "As for you, we are done. Have a nice life!"

I was about to make my way out of this place when I felt someone pulling my hair from behind and I realized that those small clutches belonged to Alana. The weak and defenseless Alana, who now had my boyfriend standing up as a knight to defend her honor. "Alana, stop," the groom said with an exasperated sigh as if this whole thing was wearing him out when, in fact, he was the cause of it in the first place. This time, she did not let go. She even pulled my hair from the root just to prove a point. I held on to my hair and refused to let her pull them all off.

Then another weird thing happened. The groom's silver eyes turned black and his low voice made me shudder when he said, "Let it go."

Alana whimpered, dropping her hands. She tilted her head to one side, showing off her bare neck, then ducked her head. And I simply stood there, wondering what on Earth was happening. Alana clutched her head and started to beg. "Please, please. I am sorry, I am so sorry."