Chapter Twelve

"No. Put that one away. Gross." Paula spat, feigning choking. I groaned.

"This is the fifth one you hate on me." I complained, slumping my shoulders. She continued to glare at me without emotions.

"Lace does not work with your complexion. Let's go pick out some different ones." She decided, ushering me back to the dressing room. I knew that what she meant was 'I pick and you put on. Then I decide that you look bad and pick more.' The circle of wedding gowns.

I sighed as the lady unclipped the back of the dress for me, and hopped out easily. It was simple to get over the embarrassment of being partially naked in front of a stranger. I mean, they do it all the time. Although I might add that it was harder for me since they decided I didn't need a slip or anything.

Not long after I was out of the 'ugly' lacy dress, it was replaced by three more. I walked out in the first two one just to walk right back in, but the third one stood a small chance. Then Paula decided to take a break to look at bridesmaids dresses. It almost made me feel like Chris and I had never split.

There were all sorts of dresses. Pink was evidently the favored color, or at least variations of it. I disgustedly asked Paula, "What's up with all the pink?"

"This isn't pink!" She harshly scream-whispered back, acting as if I had insulted her. "This is coral. This is salmon. This is fuchsia." She sighed afterwards, combing through some without even glancing at them. "What did you pick for colors again?" She asked.

"Green and blue." I sighed, wondering if this wouldn't be pretend if Chris and I hadn't destroyed it. All I could think about were his blue eyes...like a clear sky.

With a black hole in the center.

Why am I ruining this for myself?

"Oh! I saw some beautiful green ones on the other side..." I began to drown her out as I followed her around. She shuffled through racks upon racks of dresses, not even giving them a second glance. It was as if she already knew she hated them, even before she saw them.

We hadn't even gone to eat as she said we would. "When are we getting food?" I groaned, rubbing my stomach. The beast cannot be contained.

It's funny, actually. The only person I defer to like this is Paula. I'm completely out of my element here, whereas she is neck deep in hers. It seemed like she was going to ignore me when finally she asked me what I said. Because she wasn't listening.

"Forget it. I'm going to the sandwich place." I snapped, turning away abruptly. Without purchasing anything, I walked out of the Bridal Shop. No second glance.

"What's wrong with you?" Paula called as she tried to catch up in her high heels. I was running out of patience.

"You know what? I'll just say it. I didn't want to before because you seemed so enthusiastic, but Chris and I aren't together anymore." I told her bluntly, taking in her shocked expression.
But I didn't want her pity until she wasn't offering it anymore.

"I'm so sorry-" she began, but I cut her off.

"Don't. Let's just go do something to take my mind off of it." I offered. It was actually more of a demand.

"Like what? Eat food?" She scoffed, following closely behind me. Her heels clacked annoyingly on the tile floor.

"I'm not in the mood." I snapped.

"Well neither am I." She retorted, somehow managing to get in front of me. "We're leaving."

"No we're not!" I protested, trying to grab her as she walked towards the exit.