Chapter One

I'm not sure how many times I've rolled my eyes. To count them would probably take years.

This time, we were riding out to check cattle, and Joe told a stupid joke. Now, that's a good cause for eye rolling.

As we untacked, he proceeded to have a comedy show with himself, as no one else was interested in listening. The warm spring sun glinted off my shiny, fat ring. I adored that diamond so much; it was a symbol of the happiest year of my life. Despite the injuries. Heck, I'd never had a whole year that bad.

I set Trigger free in the pasture, chuckling as he loped out to greet the mares. Spurs snapped at him on his way by, her teeth barely missing his hide. I flinched, myself knowing the wrath of her daggers. In that instant I felt jealous of Trigger; he'd managed to escape. I wasn't so lucky.

Sighing, I put away the tack and headed back to the house. Lunch would be served soon, and I wasn't planning on missing it. The warm scent of soup greeted me as I entered the home; I suppose Pablo was trying to make it on the last day before summer, when soup would be unacceptable.

"Hey, daddy!" I greeted the old man happily. He smiled in response, staring down at some paperwork. As usual. I sighed.

"I've got an announcement to make over dinner." He told me, not even glancing up. I frowned.

"Okay...but it's only lunch time." I reminded him, as the guys filed in for the millionth time. Chris was right at the back of the pack, heading straight for the chair next to mine. He greeted me with a kiss on the cheek.

"Well then you'll have to wait." He snorted. I heard him mumble something directly afterwards about the economy. It wasn't bad, so I didn't think I should be too worried. Besides, I'm getting married!

"Hey, Chris, can we look at some venues later today?" I asked, settling down as he slung his arm o'er my shoulder the way he usually does.

"I've actually got some errands to run. My brother got out of rehab a few months ago." He informed me. "Going to have an arm brace for a while, though."

"Did you want to go see him?" I asked.

"Obviously." Chris laughed, scratching his beard. Apparently he neglected to shave over the last week or so. It tickles my face every time we kiss.

"Then we'll go. Tomorrow?" I questioned.

"Actually I can only go today. I promise we'll look at venues tomorrow, okay?" He pled, puppy dog eyes doing a number on my stubbornness.

Sighing, I replied with, "Okay..." Earning another cheek kiss. Once again, I rolled my eyes. "On one condition,"

Pablo started to deliver soup to the eager men waiting as Chris got a terrified look on his face. He paled slightly. "What?" He asked, voice cracking.

"Calm down, you look like a deer in the headlights." I laughed, accepting a bowl of potato soup from Pablo as he made his rounds. "All you have to do...is shave." I told him sternly, putting on a serious face. I couldn't keep it for long. As soon as he agreed, I started to laugh. Still, I wasn't going to kiss that wooly mammoth again. Stubble is attractive, unless you're old. Then a mustache is fine. But no beard.

...

That night, we sat down for supper and I had forgotten everything I'd feared of earlier. Chris headed off right after lunch, and I was left to pick out some venues on my own for him to vote on.

My idea was to have our wedding located at a small church, the one we usually went to on Easter. Granted, we weren't overly religious people. But we still made time for it.

Chris wanted to have an outdoor wedding, though. Somehow we'd have to compromise. And I can't be left to take care of it all on my own, can I? He has to help with something.

I set my pulled pork sandwich down with a sigh, wondering if I could choke up an appetite to eat. Dad was already finished, and the guys left on some sort of dinner party.

And I had more on my plate tomorrow. Paula was coming down soon to give the annual checkup on all of the herd, one by one. It takes sooo long. With so much energy.

Resting my head on my fist, I stared over at dad. He sat back, fiddling with his toothpick.

"I expect you'd like to know about my announcement." He acknowledged. I rolled my eyes on the inside, being too stressed outside to give the effort. My father simply chuckled. "I've made the grand decision to expand!" He exclaimed, not waiting for my response. "We'll get into beef cattle, and do some serious fixing up around here...and some decor...and bigger pastures. I'm doubling their size."

I was shocked. All of that? That'll be extremely expensive, not to mention the costs that already need attending.

"Are you crazy?" I shouted, forgetting my exhaustion. "We'll go back into debt...and this time I won't be able to fix it..." I started to ramble, until I saw the shocked look from father.

His eyes widened, and every muscle relaxed in the realization of my betrayal. Dad was raised to be completely independent. "You paid off my debt?" He asked quietly, eyes never leaving mine. Gravity dragged my head down onto the table, where it collided with a bang.

I scrunched up my face, wishing my lips would just seal themselves shut. I've always been the worst secret keeper. Everyone see right through me. I think I can pull it off, but end up spilling the beans.

I banged my head on the table a few more times before lifting it and nodding slightly. Dad's eyes were glistening. He rose to retreat downstairs. "Daddy wait." I cried, but he ignored me.

There's one elephant in the room that just wouldn't keep it's nose out of everyone's business. It would have been so much better if he hadn't known. Besides, now he won't take my opinions seriously unless it's something I proved I know better on. And those things are few and far between.

I retired to my own room, wishing I hadn't eaten supper at all. Wishing I wasn't so eager to know what the announcement was.

Downstairs, I could hear Pablo's farewell for the night. "See you tomorrow morning, Señor! Adios." His accent made me chuckle. I'd grown so used to it over the years.

Still, I had to come back to reality. I couldn't even shop for wedding stuff like a kid in a candy shop. Guilt was hanging over me like a dark cloud.

Why couldn't I just keep my trap shut?