Chapter Seven

SOHAYB:

After hours of walking with no hope my head pounded with fatigue. I felt dehydrated. I looked back and gazed at Yazmin who hadn't spoken since hearing her father had passed away.

"You wanna stop here for the night?" I asked as I stopped walking.

She looked around and stopped when she met my eyes. "You wanna stay here for night?" She quietly said.

"You can sleep and I can find us something to eat."

"I don't wanna be left alone." She said.

"I won't go far." I emptied my pockets and took out my knife and matches. "How about finding some dry wood to keep your mind distracted?"

"But I . . Alone?" She said.

I walked over to her and took out my whistle. I handed it to her. "Blow if you're in danger, I'll be able to hear it."

I slowly walked away scanning the area for any animals dead or alive. I looked back and could see Yazmin staring.

"I won't take long." I called out.

I slowly began scanning the area. Ya Allah please help me find something, I prayed. I closed my eyes and listened for any sounds of movement. I heard a small bleating noise.

Jackpot.

I began walking toward the sound. I saw some bushes nearby a building. How did I not see this before?

As I came closer I could see the building had been occupied not too long ago. I could still see a light on inside. Perhaps the owner decided to stay. I made my way towards the bushes.

I rummaged through the leaves and twigs.

BaaAaa.

My heart sank. A small lamb lied injured. I took it out and cradled it. Its leg was bleeding. Poor baby.

I unzipped my jacket and placed it inside to keep it warm. I zipped till it reached the lambs neck. Its small head pierced through the opening. I gently patted its head as I made my way to the entrance of the building.

I knocked on the door. No answer. I knocked again. Nothing. I banged on the door as hard as I could. Still no answer.

Should I ...? I placed my hand on the handle. I gently pulled. It was unlocked. I pulled my hand away.

I felt ashamed. This wasn't my home, I shouldn't have opened the door.

I backed away from the building and began making my way towards Yazmin.