Chapter 62

My lips parted slightly in shock at his statement. Since when was Ares Simon Knight, who never trusted people, started trusting me enough to say such things?

'Since he signed the papers and accepted you as his wife, silly...' a voice in my head whispered, which I hastily pushed away.

He clenched his jaw, running a hand through his hair as he muttered under his breath, but I still heard what he said. "But it doesn't mean I'm not bothered by him..."

I didn't know what to say to that...

Why was he bothered by Sven? Is it because they hate each other?

I was subconsciously biting the insides of my cheek, my thoughts running a mile per minute when I felt cold yet gentle fingers on my cheek as Ares softly pinched them. My gaze shifted to him, feeling a small, strange tingle inside me.

"Don't bite it," it was a command but in the softest voice I have heard from Ares. My lips parted in shock. I felt his thumb slowly caressing my cheeks, and all my previous nervousness rushed back to me as I felt my nose and cheeks warming up again.

Don't get red! Don't get red, Elysia!

When I saw a very small, almost ghostly smile appearing on Ares' face, I knew my skin had messed up again.

"I'm sorry for hurting you yesterday..." I blinked at him in shock; his expressions turned to serious and tensed almost immediately. I wasn't expecting that at all. "I didn't mean to hurt you in any way; it wasn't my intention at all. I just didn't realize my words could be affecting you that much." His voice was as usual deep, calm, cold, and collected, but there was a soft edge in his tone, and that was so soft and sincere that my stomach reacted in weird flips at the sound.

Yes... I was upset when he revealed the news to Sven like that... but he wasn't close to Sven in any way, and technically he couldn't have known about the level of our bond with each other, so he didn't realize it would indirectly affect us all that much...

'Are you looking for excuses on his behalf?' a voice in my head whispered again before going quiet.

I slowly nodded my head in understanding. Sven, Esme, and I had settled things down with each other, and nothing bad happened either, which relaxed my features.

Ares nodded back slightly, and his tensed features calmed a bit as he asked. "Allow me to take my wife to the hospital, would you?" There, my stomach did those weird flips again at his way of referring to me as his wife.

This was so strange... So new... But also scary...

What if it's a dream, his warmth, his touches, his caresses, his gaze, his presence... Why do I feel like this is all going to end?

Why do I have this bad feeling in my gut?

I took a deep breath, pushing those thoughts to the darkest corners of my head, and nodded at Ares and his face immediately softened completely.

In the back of my head, I wanted to hide from Ares, avoid him, distance myself from him, just run away from him... far away...

My heart and mind were in a constant battle...

He guided me towards his car and quietly opened the passenger door for me. I sat in the car as he hopped in before maneuvering out. I noticed his assessing gaze looking around the neighborhood and my building, specifically the top floor, his eyebrows were slightly tensed as we drove out of the area.

The drive to the hospital was quiet, a little awkward, but Ares seemed distracted, a lot more than just distracted, actually. He was deep in thought, his expressions were tensed, creases on the forehead, lips pressed into a thin line, and jaw clenched firmly.