Child it is

From the perspective of Anirudh, I am over the moon with elation; I'm going to be a father. The instant the news graced my ears, like a bee to a blossom, I longed to envelop Bondita in my embrace, to express my regrets, to vow never to let her weather this pregnancy alone. Yet, in the eyes where I sought the spark of curiosity for our unborn child, I found instead a cascade of tears. Have I, in this solitary year of our union, become a beast in her eyes? Has the potion I imbibed morphed her perception of me? Gone are the days when 'Pati babu' was a term of endearment; now, 'Barrister Babu' is all I hear, a title she knows grates on my nerves.

Does she view our child as a yoke around her neck? It's been an eternity since I've seen her smile genuinely, since I've heard her lively banter – the same chatter that briefly returned when she donned the guise of Vaijayanti. Now, she dons a veil of darkness, reminiscent of the somberness that enveloped her when heartbreak first laid its icy grip upon her after my marriage to Manorama. Perhaps Thakuma's words held a bitter truth; maybe I am not her destined soulmate. She has retreated into silence, only breaking it for the bare essentials. Nightly, her tears – which I had sworn to shield her from – are now her silent comfort.

She is the epitome of diligence; waking before dawn, tending to the chores, then vanishing in her car to court, only to return and assist Sampoorna Ma. Yet, through it all, her joy remains elusive, her voice unheard by those within our home. She's become a shadow in our midst, draped forever in the somber hues of mourning. Nonetheless, Bondita's spirit remains unbroken; she has risen to prominence as a celebrated barrister in India, her brilliance undeniable even in these few short months.

As I collect my wife from the hospital, these thoughts whirl through my mind, a tempest of regret and realizations, and you, dear reader, are privy to the cause of her current state.

In the forthcoming chapter, we will delve into Bondita's perspective. 

Your Devoted Writer

Anaha