Chapter 14: Prisoner.

CR-25- troop transport 'Evani' April 1st, 2570

The evacuation party was fortunate to skirt the orbital battle and depart the system with a fair distance between them and the Arxur. The Terran transport unloaded its critically wounded passengers at a Venlil border outpost, while the rest of the posse trekked on to Earth. Slanek wasn't sure how the predators planned to deal with the terrified aliens upon arrival.

"Marcel, you've been stabilized by onboard medics. I can't send Nulia to a refugee site run by predators without you." Slanek sensed Marcel's reluctance to part with Nulia, as if he had no intention of leaving her in a camp at all. The Gojid cradle had witnessed Marcel launching into a silly song about a twinkling star to put Nulia to sleep.

'That human... I never expected to bond with one.' Slanek's thought.

Slanek's hesitation to disembark in the relative safety of a Venlil station stemmed from uncertainty. After all the horror Marcel had endured in space, Slanek wondered if his friend would ever return to the stars. The fear of permanent separation loomed, and Slanek didn't want their friendship to conclude with fear and disgust toward Marcel's species.

'Is my trust in humanity really that conditional? Are my prejudices still alive?' Slanek wondered.

The mere sight of Marcel in the doorway had left Slanek in shambles at their first meeting. Now, he didn't think about it when Marcel snarled or picked him up. He didn't react to any humans' eyes either, not even strangers or crowds. Perhaps, Slanek mused, he had made more progress than he gave himself credit for.

When Slanek signed up for the humans' first contact program, the thought of willingly visiting their home world seemed laughable. Guilt over how his instincts ran amok on the Gojid cradle and how quick he was to fault the predators plagued him. Landing on Terran soil was a massive step, far from his preconceptions of society.

'Is this the right decision? Can I handle the truth about humanity?' he wondered as the transport touched down, Slanek reminded himself that it was too late to back out. This was not the time for second thoughts; his fright would only contribute to the other passengers' panic.

"Gojid refugees, line up single file and prepare to exit the ship. Anyone who fails to follow the directions of UN soldiers will be hit with a tranquilizer dart, for your own safety," a grating voice growled over the PA system. "Volunteers are handing out blankets, water, and dried fruit. If you require medication or special accommodations, approach the nearest human in a white coat or red cross insignia. You are safe here. Please do not panic."

'That's easier said than done.' Slanek deadpans in his head.

The humans' statements had no calming effect; there wasn't a single refugee that didn't look petrified. An elderly Gojid collapsed with a thud, clutching her chest. Terran medics gestured for everyone to move back, hurrying to cart the cardiac victim out.

'This is no different from being towed to a predators' lair as cattle.' Slanek thought before shaking it off.

"Hi, Slanek," Tyler said hesitantly.

The blond human took a timid approach, as if worried about frightening Slanek. As traumatic as Tyler's table manners were, his intentions were benevolent. Slanek was aware that predators consumed meat by definition, but that didn't negate everything he knew about their rich emotions.

"Thanks for saving my life, Tyler. Sorry for freaking out back there." Slanek pinned his ears against his head, seeing Tyler's eyes soften at his scared expression. "It was a good idea on paper for me to help humanity communicate with civilians. But I had no idea what I was signing up for. It was sensory overload, all the death, predation, and aggression."