Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

"We might have to stay an extra day!" Tate looked up at Monica.

"Maybe so?" Monica winked at Tate.

Alex leaned back in her seat, done with the two bites she'd taken. She caught John's eye as she crossed her arms, refusing to look at Kayce. As soon as John cleared his throat, Alex was up and out of the room. Usually, she helped clear the table but not tonight.

She made her way back up to her bed and fell backward on it. Hot tears pooled in the corners of her eyes until they started to fall, wetting her hair.

It wasn't the thought of Monica. It wasn't the thought of Kayce having an ex-wife. It wasn't the thought of Tate having a mom. It was how Monica handed it. It was how Monica handled Alex. It was the old feeling of not being good enough that came from looking at Monica, especially when she sat in her old seat with the family.

The door creaked open and shut softly. Alex leaned her head up and saw Kayce walk slowly over to the bed, his hands in his pockets. Alex leaned her head back down.

"I don't wanna talk to you," Alex slowly released some air.

"Why's that?" Kayce asked bluntly.

"'Cause you already know," Alex bit her lip briefly. "But you don't care."

"I care," Kayce said.

"Don't lie to me," Alex sat up and glared at Kayce.

"What would you have me do, Lex?" Kayce asked her, throwing his hands up. "It's fucking snowing, the roads are shit...she's Tate's mom!"

"I know all of that," Alex argued.

"Then what is it?" Kayce asked her.

"It's how you treat me when you're trying to make sure you still please her" Alex cried.

"What?" Kayce dropped his hands.

"It's..." Alex shook her head. "It's how you treat me or how you allow her to treat me."

"Alex..." Kayce frowned.

"I'm always second to her," Alex said quietly. "I will always be second to her, won't I?"

"You're not second," Kayce argued.

"Yes I am," Alex nodded, standing up from the bed and facing Kayce. "She came here to get Tate because she knew she'd get to stay here...you let her, you then let her stay, she's then in her fucking chair at the family table and I'm sitting like I'm some pathetic guest!"

"Alex-"

"I was above her!" Alex snapped. "I was even above you!" 

Kayce watched her behind cautious eyes. Alex was breathing hard now.

"I had your fucking seat at one time," Alex married her eyes. "She has no idea who I used to..."

Alex trailed off and ran her finger through her dark hair. Her eyes then found Kayce's again.

"I know who she is," Alex said slowly. "I don't need that lecture when it's pointed out to me every fucking week or two...but what I do need is you...giving me some God damn grace for once."

Kayce took a deep breath.

"You want to be with me, Kayce," Alex tapped her chest. "Me...so maybe, I don't know...maybe you could act like it for once in front of Monica?"

Alex then paused, waiting for Kayce to say something to her. The ring he had given her felt like it was on fire against her skin. The voices of Tate and Monica floated up to the room as they made their way upstairs.