14 ~ The Doghouse

Start bij het begin

"Wow, this part of town is a little shady," I mentioned.

His ears flopped in embarrassment. "Yeah, it gets torn up every full moon. The nice part of town is where the log cabins are. The elders keep it clean."

"So, is there a lot of crime on the full moon . . .?" I worried.

"Well, it's really not against the law to tear up this part of town. Otherwise, they'd have to arrest everybody, so they gave up. But it's not completely dangerous—at least not to me. But I wouldn't suggest you come down here."

"So, do you like tearing up the town, too?" I curiously asked.

"Oh, maybe my first year. But I don't do that anymore."

"Well, that's good. Y'know, some guys like to vandalize the towns in my world, too."

"Yeah, but your world's bigger. You don't have to look at it every day."

"Yeah, but there were some pretty shady parts where I lived."

"You always try to make me feel better." He then smiled. "Thanks. It's just embarrassing, I guess." He cleared his throat. "So, what are your people like?"

"People?"

"Y'know, family."

"Well, I just live with my Aunt Christie."

He shot me a glance. "How's she?"

"Good—last time I saw her anyway. She paints for a living."

"Well, maybe I can meet her one day if that's okay with you."

I smiled, feeling warm inside.

"So . . . you got parents? I'm sorry, is that rude?"

"It's okay. And yeah, they're alive. I haven't seen them since last Christmas."

He looked shocked at first. "Why?"

"They travel a lot and go on vacation."

His face twisted in what looked like disgust. "Seriously? Without you?"

I nodded.

"Why?"

I could tell he was being careful not to say anything offensive, but it was obviously upsetting him because he gripped the steering wheel a little tighter.

"It's just easier," I explained. "And they don't like paying for the extra plane ticket if it's not necessary. Plus, their marriage counselor said that the key to improving their relationship is to spend time together."

"Maybe if they wouldn't dump their kid off, they wouldn't have marriage problems."

I just chuckled. "Well, they almost got divorced last year, but then they went to Singapore on a cruise for failing marriages and worked things out."

"Well, I can see why they have problems. They don't spend time with the best thing that ever happened to 'em." I could have sworn he had an angry blush on his face. Even the fur on his tail stiffened as his ears jerked up. "I'm sorry, Millie, I know we're not together-together, but just the short time I've spent with you . . . I can't imagine life without you. So, it just burns me up that they're treatin' you this way."

For some reason, his statement made me feel appreciated. No one had ever said anything so nice about me.

I gazed up at him with a strange yet tender feeling inside. "Thanks, Rusty. That means a lot. But if it makes you feel better, my grandpa checked in on me every couple of weeks."