9 ~ An Anemic Future

Rusty spent the next week brooding. Every time I saw him at school, he lowered his ears in shame. His tail didn't wag once. Honestly, he was really starting to get on my nerves. Even Asher was more conversational at this point! Did I say something to make him feel bad? It wasn't like I was trying to hurt his feelings. But if we were going to be friends, he needed to stop worrying about our differences.

Besides, we were going out of town tomorrow to the candy store, so if he didn't straighten up, I was going without him!

The final bell of the school day rang, so I darted out of class and searched for Rusty. I was going to give him a piece of my mind! He wasn't at his locker, so I hurried through a lonely corridor that led to the cafeteria. Maybe he was getting a milk bone out of the vending machine (like he usually did after school).

"Millie," a creepy voice hissed from an empty classroom.

I stopped and looked over to find the vampire who sat next to me in Paranormal History. Surprisingly, he wasn't wearing that dumb top hat. Instead, he donned a Victorian vest over a cream pirate shirt. His bloodred gaze pierced into my own, sending a chill up my spine. They were no longer the icy color from last week.

"I'm afraid you'll have to cancel your plans for tomorrow." He slowly approached me. "Don't worry. I've already canceled them for you with the stray."

Huh? Is that why Rusty had been avoiding me? But why would he listen to this doofus? And could I even trust anything this guy was saying? "What?"

He inched closer and closer. "I've decided you're too beautiful to be hanging out with traitors and mutts."

Traitors? This guy was seriously giving me the creeps, so I tried to leave—but he flew in my direction and pinned me against the wall. My heart nearly restarted, but he leaned in with his pointy nose.

"Touch me and I'll sue! I got my lawyer on speed dial!" I threatened.

He chuckled sinisterly. "Now, Millie, if we're going to get along, I won't tolerate your lies. I've decided that you're my new thrall."

"Thrall?! Get out've my face!" I tried to shove him away, but he was stiffer than a statue.

His voice deepened into a hissing sound. "Oh, I'm sorry you misunderstood. You see, I wasn't asking."

His eyes sharpened and bored into mine with venom. Suddenly, a wave of nausea overcame me, and I felt sick to my stomach. I wanted to scream, but fear silenced my voice. For the first time since coming here . . . I truly felt terrified.

Someone, help me!

I didn't have time to realize what was happening. The vampire was thrown across the room like a ragdoll, and he slammed into the trophy cabinet. Glass shattered and rained to the floor across his pale body. Howls erupted from the building, but soon, I realized my hero was . . . Rusty. Except he looked different. His eyes were glowing like two embers, and his fangs were larger. He wasn't like a real wolf on all fours, but he was hunched over, and his blue shirt was ripped across his upper body muscles.

Now, I could see why all the wolves wore baggy clothes. I didn't even realize that the vampire's cosplay had been torn to shreds by Rusty's claws, but his glassy skin remained completely unharmed.

"Don't you ever touch Millie again!" Rusty barked, pinning his ears back. "She doesn't belong to you!"

The creep sat up with a maniacal smirk. "Oh? I haven't seen you claim her."

"She's not a steak, you psycho freak!"

Around that time, Herb and Asher ran to my side and stood in front of me protectively. The other werewolves emerged into the hallway, but they stayed behind Rusty and bared their fangs, snarling aggressively.