1 ~ The Caravan to Nowhere

"Ugh! Are you ancient people so senile that you don't even know what a lawsuit is?"

Those were the words that would stick with me for the rest of my life. Here I was, sitting in a classroom full of vampires and werewolves who absolutely hated each other . . . as the only human girl. Mr. Higginsworth, our Paranormal History teacher, had been interrupted for the twentieth time.

"Well, I have been alive for a while now—maybe two hundred years. Perhaps I've been outta touch with the human world fer too long," Mr. Higginsworth muttered.

"Well, lawsuits are no problem when you know how to erase memories," a creepy vampire guy retorted from the back of the room.

"Idiot! Only a fool would believe that you really erased someone's memories," the werewolf behind me shot back.

"Yeah, if you erased her memory of you, she must not've been that into you," a member of his pack goaded.

"Or maybe she was just so sick of you, she went along with it to start a fresh life."

The two werewolf jocks high-fived each other while their friends hooted and hollered.

The guys in my school were dogs. Literally. And some of them were cold-blooded and heartless. Also, literally! There were even goat people and fairies. So, how did I get sent to this loony bin? Well, it all started when I made one tiny mistake.

One week earlier, I was packing everything I needed for my road trip to Colorado. For my junior year, I would leave my sleepy town in Nebraska and go to a luxurious boarding school in the mountains! My friend Kylie Jade had been sent to boarding school, so I begged Aunt Christie and my parents (who were traveling overseas) to let me enroll with her so we could be dormmates.

Kylie had been my best friend since kindergarten, but sadly, she moved away a couple of months ago. We kept in touch through chatrooms and phone calls, but it wasn't the same. She was the only one who liked the same books and TV shows that I did. We were big fantasy lovers—but honestly, she may have been a little too obsessed. Especially with vampires.

Either way, I was so excited to see her again! Right now, I was stuffing the last of my clothing into a pink polka dot suitcase. Thankfully, her school didn't require uniforms, so I could remain fashionable at all times.

"Millie! Are you ready?" Aunt Christie chirped from the kitchen of our little townhouse.

"Almost!"

As soon as I zipped up my suitcase, I scurried to my cluttered bookshelf and grabbed my favorite book series: The Lunar Cycle of Love. Sure, the title was a little cheesy, but it was about a werewolf who falls in love with a human girl. And basically, she's his soulmate, so he's super protective—but at the same time, he struggles to balance his humanity with the beast within.

If werewolves existed, I would totally be someone's soulmate. Yeah, I know, the other kids at school thought I was a freak, but I couldn't help myself. Deep down, I knew werewolves existed.

Arf! Arf!

Speaking of dogs, my little corgi Jelly Bean barked to get my attention. He jumped up and pressed his paws into my legs while panting feverishly. He always got excited when Aunt Christie and I were getting ready to leave. He must have had a sixth sense, so I picked him up and nuzzled my face into his fluffy golden fur.

"Aww, I'll miss you, too, Beanie," I cooed while hugging him closely. "I wish I could bring you."

Beanie was his nickname. He was the sweetest little dog because he loved to cuddle. Aside from Kylie, he was probably my only other friend in this world. But I didn't care that he couldn't talk. I was a dog person, so I still loved him the same. Once he began to calm down, I placed him down and zipped the last of my bags.