10 ~ With My Life

Começar do início

I clutched my heart. "That's awful!"

"It's evil. But no matter what, that's not gonna happen. I'll protect you. And I'm reportin' it to whoever cares. So maybe they can investigate. Whoever 'they' is."

"So, I'm doomed?"

"You're not doomed. I said it's not gonna happen."

"Yeah, but now I'm scared!" I cried, unable to hide my terror. Tears stung at my eyes, but I struggled not to cry.

His caring eyes widened in shock at my reaction. But then he sat down beside me and took me in his arms. "Shh. No matter what, I said I'm gonna take care of you. Trust me. But look, think of it this way. These sickos basically want the girl to desire to be a thrall. Like it's some kind of love confession or something. So, he can't make you a thrall if you don't agree to it anyway," he reassured. "And if it ever got to that point, I'd go to the human world and contact whoever ya contact about these things. Probably Area 51."

I clung to his chest and trembled. Just being in his arms made me feel safer. His fluffy tail curled around me and soothed my fears. Once I started to feel better . . . my face warmed up when I realized that he was still holding me. He must have been thinking the same thing because he reluctantly pulled back.

". . . Anyway, you should probably get back," I stammered. "If you're not in your dorm room, you'll get in trouble."

He scoffed. "Like I care."

"Well, you can't just sleep on the floor! You know what kinda things the girls would write about me on the bathroom wall?"

"You know what I'm gonna write on the bathroom wall about him?"

"Please, don't! I don't want anybody to know," I begged.

"Really? Well, for now . . . I guess that's okay." He let out a sigh. "But if it gets serious, we gotta get help. So, don't be afraid. At least the pack's got your back. I don't gotta tell 'em anything. They know."

I cringed. "Wait, so you mean they're listening to us talk right now?"

"No. Do you listen to every conversation that you hear in another room?"

"Uh, no. I can't hear anybody talk in another room."

He raised an eyebrow. "Really? Oh, sorry. My bad. Anyway, the wolves have a wolf code. We don't eavesdrop on people or steal their gravy."

I suppressed a snicker.

"I still don't think you should be left alone, so I'll sleep outside the door. How does that sound?" he casually offered.

Aww, Beanie used to do the same thing. He'd sleep outside my bedroom door every single night. "But wouldn't that be uncomfortable?"

"No, not like it would be for you. I'll just curl up with my tail."

"You know, my corgi used to do the same thing."

He sheepishly looked away. "Well, I'm glad I amuse you. You must think a lot about that corgi."

"Well, since my parents are always gone, they gave him to me for my twelfth birthday, so I didn't feel as lonely without 'em."

"That's cool. I bet you miss him."

"I do." I then gazed into his eyes. "But not as much as I thought I would."

He blushed . . . and before I knew it, I let out a yawn. "Well, I'm a little tired. Do you need a blanket?"

"Nah. I don't get cold. Except maybe in the snow."

"What about a pillow? Or a night light?"

"If you got something you wanna give me, I'll use it." He then paused. "But I don't wanna put you out."