9 ~ An Anemic Future

Start from the beginning

"Oh, just like a dog to bring his whole pack to a tiff," the stalker mocked. "You know, you can't protect her forever. But my greatest concern is, who will protect her from you?"

Coming from the guy who tried to attack me?! The snarling grew louder.

He then glanced at the curved window. "In a fortnight, there will be a full moon . . . and it will be glorious."

What did he mean by that?! Was he planning to strike again on the full moon? Oh, no!

Rusty didn't even speak. He just lunged at the fiend and prepared to slash him with his claws, but then Mr. Higginsworth blew the dog whistle. Every werewolf and vampire stopped dead in their tracks and winced (while some hissed and others whimpered). But that gave the creep the opening he needed to escape like a coward. It was like the sound didn't even faze him!

"Alright, children, 'dis 'lil kerfuffle has gone too far," the teacher chided. "The headmaster has had enough of yer shenanigans. Everybody, go to yer dorm rooms. Except fer you four." He looked at Rusty, Asher, Herb, and me.

Was this geezer so oblivious that he didn't even realize I had been threatened by a vampire?!

"I'm an innocent bystander," Asher corrected.

"Aw, please, you haven't been innocent since the day you were born." He then hobbled down the hallway on his cane. "Come with me. The headmaster is very distressed."

I was distressed!

"Yeah, he was so distressed he couldn't get up and come here himself," Asher deadpanned.

"Well, you know his arthritis kicks in at the sight of trouble. Now, I suggest you, young man, go find a change of clothes and calm yerself down first."

"I know the drill." Rusty gave me a brief glance and then reluctantly marched away.

I didn't want him to leave so soon . . . but I squeezed my arm and followed Mr. Higginsworth to the headmaster's office. Headmaster Lupus was pacing his office, but he breathed a sigh of relief the moment I walked in.

"Miss Brown, are you alright?" he worried.

"Yeah, Rusty saved me."

"Well, that is most fortunate, indeed. I just hope that none of this shall warrant an investigation."

"Yo, that's just wrong." Asher shook his head. "You don't even know what happened, and you're already trying to cover it up."

"Why, 'cover-up' is such a bold concept. Anyway, what happened exactly?"

"Those blood parasites you led into this slum threatened Millie!" Rusty snapped as he barged into the room. "So, just write it down on your booklet of what you're not gonna do so we can get outta here."

I just held my arms uncomfortably. "Well, I think you should know that it was the top hat kid who threatened me. I don't even know his name."

"Oh, you mean Duran Elderidge?"

"Uh, I guess. He said something about making me his 'thrall.' Whatever that means."

Rusty fumed, making me wonder if he'd transform again.

"Oh, I'm sure he spoke in jest," the headmaster chuckled.

"Why are you defending that creep?! Expel him!" Rusty snarled.

"That would be a board decision. And currently . . . our board members consist of his parents and grandmother. They did fund the money for that Olympic-sized pool, you know."