6 ~ My Own Little Tower

Start from the beginning

"Oh, and you're the expert?"

"Well, yeah, I've watched Married with Children and Full House. I kinda know what I'm talkin' about."

These guys were totally out to lunch. I can't believe they didn't know anything about the human world.

"Well, anyway, I need to figure out my dorm situation. So, you two can stay here and fight," I interrupted.

"See? This is why he shouldn't tag along," Rus whined.

"No, you just need to learn to get along with others!" I chided.

His ears drooped as if he had been whipped with a newspaper. "Okay. Sorry, Millie."

"I need to see the headmaster. So, I'll see you guys later." I quickly darted away before the argument could intensify.

Headmaster Lupus was waiting in his office with his secretary Ms. Milky, so I barged into the room and asked, "Excuse me. But is my dorm room ready?"

For some reason, the headmaster sheepishly looked away and tugged at his collar. "Hehe. Well, about that . . ."

"Is something wrong?" I worried.

"Well, the dorm buildings are assigned by species. And we don't have a human wing."

"And since some of the students—mostly the vampires—were showing such an interest in you . . ." Ms. Milky took over, "we decided that it was best to give you your own space."

"Really? So, I'm getting a private suite?"

"In a way, yes. You're getting your own tower," the headmaster informed.

. . . What? Tower? "Wait, there's a tower on this campus? Is it like a cute little turret?"

"Uh, something like that," he gruffly chuckled. "For your own protection, we deemed that it was best to keep you as far away from the troubled youth as possible. And don't worry, we can assure you that no one can escape it. Which probably means no one can break in, either."

"Oh." I didn't know what to say. I was looking forward to having a roommate, but I guess this would have to do for now. "Okay. So, where is it?"

"Right. Follow me."

The headmaster and his secretary led me out of the building and followed a lonely trail to the back of the campus. Along the way, we passed two baby blue dorm buildings with gingerbread trim that looked absolutely beautiful.

Sadly . . . I couldn't say the same about my situation. Headmaster Lupus stopped, so I craned my neck and looked up at my three-story Gothic tower built from weathered granite. It practically looked medieval.

"Seriously?" I muttered.

"Don't worry! It's actually quite homey on the inside," the headmaster reassured.

"Yes, it even has a kitchenette and a flatscreen TV!" Ms. Milky chirped. "We installed it this morning just for you."

"Oh, really? Thanks."

Maybe it wouldn't look so bad on the inside. At least they gave me a TV.

"We recommend that you not dally on your way to and fro," the headmaster added. "We have a little bit of a gang problem after 8:00 PM, so I recommend that you retire to your tower before then."

"You mean I'm on lockdown?"

"Oh, heavens, no! I didn't mean to imply . . . how should I put it? Please don't travel unescorted anywhere on campus. Find a trusted student like Herb to assist you. Here's his number." He handed me a leaf-shaped card.