Chapter 24 - Plans

Start from the beginning

"Yes, Allegra?" 

"Qariinn requests your presence in the heart," said Allegra. "I think it's to do with the Reclamation and Leristith." 

"Ah, indeed." The valkyrie rose. "Thank you, centaur. You have the heart of a true maiden."

Allegra wasn't entirely sure what she'd done to deserve the compliment, but she inclined her head in thanks regardless. "Thank you, valkyrie. I'll be with you shortly, I have one other to collect."

She found Kiou in his usual spot, and grabbing him by the arm, she dragged him from his seat.

"C'mon, leatherbutt. If I have to go, so do you." 

Kiou grimaced but stood regardless. "I was hoping you wouldn't find me."

"Pick a different spot next time, genius." 

They hurried to join Svala and walked the rest of the distance together. Voices were on the other side of the door as they approached. Kiou and Allegra knew better than to knock, but Svala had no such reservations. She placed a hand upon the door and pushed it open, striding through the gap immediately. 

"Djinn!" said Svala. "What is it you wish to discuss?" 

Qariinn was at his desk on the upper level with the archangel. Both appeared to be bent over something on the desk, which Allegra sincerely hoped wasn't the kitsune's key. The djinn hadn't taken the thing off once since she'd fled--something Allegra was starting to understand the reasoning behind. If he'd been even half this creepy about Rena while she was here, Allegra didn't want to think what had happened inside the heart while they were alone. 

As she followed Svala up the stairs, Allegra was relieved to see it wasn't Rena's key--though that still hung firmly around Qariinn's neck. It appeared to be some kind of dark crystal, similar to the ones Allegra had seen come out of chaotics in the past. The archangel was bent over it, some kind of gold light encircling the crystal. 

Allegra resisted the urge to wrinkle her nose. 

She didn't like the archangel. The only person who commanded his respect was the djinn himself. That wasn't how it was supposed to be among the Unbounds. As Mythics, they were supposed to be equals. Brothers and sisters in arms under the guidance of Qariinn himself, the djinn with a remaining wish. It was a rare thing. Djinns themselves were uncommon enough, and they were prone to accidentally wasting their wishes. All it took was one 'I wish you'd shut up!' and like that, you were down another wish. 

But not Qariinn. He considered each word carefully, each action and each sentence precisely as he meant it, which was why it bothered Allegra to see his obsession with Rena's key. When it came to that, his precision vanished in favour of a fevered excitement. 

"Djinn!" called Svala again, this time from the edge of the table. "What is it you wish to discuss?"

Qariinn looked up and smiled. His hand went immediately to Rena's key. 

"Ah, Svala! Allegra, Kiou, please, gather." After they'd done so, he swept a hand over the table. "Tell me what you see."

"A chaotic core?" guessed Kiou, folding his arms. 

"Indeed!" said Qariinn. "Now, what's interesting about it?"

Kiou examined the crystal, a slight frown on his face. 

Niari spoke up. Don't they usually come with the Mythic's key? 

"No key," said Allegra, realising she was right. "A dead chaotic is supposed to leave behind its core of corrupted ley and its key."