Chapter 13 | A distinct echo.

IChapter 13| A distinct echo.

January 23rd, 1856.  8:54am

After spending Christmas with his family,  you returned home for the new year,  you had some devastating news on his lordship's oldest friend when you got home,  rumours of someone dead.

“So Paul,  how did you expect that?”. He looked at you,  “Expect what my darling?”.

You smiled at his lordship, laughing,  “Oh nothing…”.,  his soft grey hair touching your head, you both lay in bed before a knock at the door, “Come in!”. The lord of the manor yelled,  Talbot walked in, holding a telegram,  he was very distressed and awfully silent,  he hadn't been this quiet in years, he sighed softly, his lordship spoke,  “What is the issue Talbot, you seem awfully distressed and awfully quiet  “. The valet smiled sadly and wiped his eyes, taking off his glasses.  Opening the telegraph to read it.

“Sir…I regret to inform you of that…. Sir Foxton
..”. The valet took off his hat, his eyes began to water, knowing he was close to Sir Foxton, “has died, a fault of polio and whooping cough. A mere four years since his loyal and dear wife,  Patricia died from her unconditional illness…”.  The lord of the manor gasped,  and sadly turned away, “My friend…”.  He turned away,  almost going into a rage , he snuffled, “WHY DOES EVERYONE KEEP DYING ON ME?!”. You hugged his lordship,  he couldn't let you die,  he wouldn't let it happen again.  He couldn't let you go, he hugged you tight and started to cry,  “Oh Y/N,  tell me he's joking…”.

You looked at him,  “As in the toymaker?”. The valet looked at you and sighed softly. His guilt rushed through his memories, “I'm afraid so. At least…well he's with Patricia now. And Sir Weller,  I'm sorry but I'm not making such laughter,  I'm afraid…he really has left us. Just like Sir Buckler 6 years ago. “. You looked at the valet,  “Sir Buckler? Who was that?”. The valet smiled, “Inventor, architecture builder. He built this house within a couple of years before his lordship's mother and father moved in. Then, his lordship was born. He was such a sweet little thing. “.  His lordship stared but smiled down at you.

Paul sighed and got up out of bed,  “Talbot help me dress!”. The valet raced towards the young lord, “Of course, Sir.”. You turned away quickly and giggled,  Paul looked at you as he stood up,  hearing you giggle, “Oh Y/N…”. He went down to the bed and kissed you, smiling, his lordship patted your hand, “I'll be back in a moment.  And darling?”. You looked at him,  “Hm?”. He asked a personal question,  “How about some jousting after breakfast?”. You looked at him and tilted your head up in confusion, “Jousting?”. Talbot laughed,  placing his hand on the young lord's pale and wirey shoulder, “He means sword practice on a horse.”.  You laughed softly,  “OH!”. 

A bang on the front door, you both turned confused, Talbot looked out the window, a woman was there, her clothes dirty and unpleasant, Talbot sighed and rushed downstairs, it banged again,  “Yes,  yes I'm coming!”. He ran to the door and opened it,  “Yes? Can I help you, ma'am?”. The woman seemed upset, “Have you seen my daughter? She's been missing for 4 months…”. Talbot looked at her and brought her in, “What's her name ma'am?”.  A mother spoke with such sadness that flooded her. She thought you were dead, “Y/N…L/N…”.  Talbot's eyes widened, and he ran back upstairs,  “Wait here!”.

He ran upstairs, opening the door “Sir…Miss L/N's mother has shown up…”. Your eyes widened, Paul took off his bandages  and growled a little, holding you back, “My mother…?”. You looked at him, and  grabbed your ragged and torn clothes,  placing them on just to meet your mother again, he chased after you in his fancy style suit,  white and black,  a jabot covering his neck. “MOTHER I'M HERE!”. Talbot looked at you before sighing, taking you down to your mother. You both went down the stairs,  your mother gasped,  running to you, hugging you,  ”Mum…”. You looked at her as she hugged you before letting her go, turning away,  “I think you should go mother…”. Your mother gasped,  quietly,  “NO! I HAVE SPENT 4 MONTHS LOOKING FOR YOU, YOU STUPID GIRL! You listen to me, young lady! I am your mother! COME HOME THIS INSTANT!”. You looked at her and shouted back,  “ NO! I FOUND HAPPINESS HERE, I'M WELL LOVED! TREATED WITH RESPECT  THAT I DIDN'T HAVE  BACK HOME!”. Paul came down the stairs, walking to your mother,  growling a slight bit, “I thought you heard her,She is my purity.  My miss. My darling Deanna. She is the carriage  of my child…“. Your mother backed up from his lordship,  “Y/N…y-you're pregnant?”. You looked at your mother before turning away,  “Yes…I'm very grateful for it. He loves me, mother.”. Talbot flinched,  fainting in such stress, Stephen came through, not noticing Talbot had fainted, looking at his lordship, “How ‘bout I make some tea? Inviting Miss L/N's mother out for our day in the courtyard? And Miss L/N's  jousting lesson?”. 

Paul sighed softly. He didn't like the idea much, “Very well. “. Paul looked at you, smiling rather softly,  “Be nice to her, just for today.  Alright?”.  You nod softly at him, and he kisses your neck softly,  “Good girl.“.  You grabbed his jabot and felt him dig his sharp  teeth into your neck again, and you softly hummed.  He smiled,  pulling away,  the blood staining your neck.  He stroked your face softly before going to get changed into his white shirt and riding boots as an outfit.  Talbot got up, “I'll go help Stephen with the tea.”. Paul smiled,  “Good man. “.

[After a while, you got changed into an outfit of that of someone fancy, entering the courtyard]

Your mother worried, she hadn't seen you so careless,  “Y/N….please just stop, I'm worried you'll get injured. I don't  want my daughter  dead.“. Talbot looked at your mother,  “She'll be alright ma'am…I promise. “. Your mother sighed,  sitting in the emerald grass.

Paul picked up a sword from the grass, Paul managed to look at you, and you picked up your own with some help from Stephan “Focus on me, my darling. “. You blushed and smiled softly. He held his sword still, “Lean forward.”. You leant forward, he placed his sword further into the wind, “Now practice to strike. Like so.”.

He spun, his curly short greyish hair spun in the wind as he struck a wooden structure, knocking it's wooden head down to the grass below, Paul placed his sword down and went behind you to help, he held your hand, “Now relax.”. He softly kissed your neck, lifting your arm, before you slashed the structure’s stomach, “Did I do it?”.  You asked. Paul looks at you, “I'd say so. Talbot, has she?”. Talbot looked at the structure, walking to it, “That she has said… oh my lord.  SIR, YOU'RE BLEEDING!”. Paul looked down at his stomach where his suit was slashed and ripped to his pale snow white skin, blood dripped a bit, he was not fussed, and the wound seemed to quickly heal all too quickly “HE'S NOT HUMAN!”. Your mother yelled. Stephen covered her mouth, “SSH!”. Your mother looked at the cook with annoyance.

You laughed a bit, hugging him, “I'm so sorry Paul…”. He smiled at you,  “It's alright, my darling…”.  He picked you up and spun around with you.  “Oh...my darling Y/N, we have to go visit Sir Foxton's family in a moment. Well what remains of course.  His sons should be in a worry.”. You looked at him and nodded in agreement,  “Alright Paul. “. Your mother glared and tried, "If you hurt her, so help me!". She desperately to grab you away. “Leave her be. Would you? She's very happy here. Yet how, I do not know. I wasn't rich myself. I was a common folkman, lived in London mostly. I took up jobs for many families,  before the Lord's father took me in, he was my minister. I helped with paperwork and well his meals and such. I taught the young lord to read and write as his father suggested homeschooling  would  be well  better for him.”. Talbot sighed, and your mother sighed.

"I just haven't seen her so happy..".

   Agreeing to the valet, noticing how much the young lord loved you, "Was her ladyship kind?". Your mother asked,  "Yes, in some respect she was. Some people say it was set up. Her murder.  But I'd highly doubt it, his lordship would never kill anyone.... I hope."..Your mother's face drew concerned, "What?". Talbot looked at her,  "Nothing. "
He spoke.

Highly concerned about what he said..