𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒: 𝐀 𝐒𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐀 𝐋𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫

Start from the beginning

My mother.

Smiling.

To say that I was flabbergasted was an understatement. In all the time I had spent with her, she had never once smiled like that. Ever. I stared at her with wide eyes. She didn't seem to notice me because she was looking the other way, but then she turned and her eyes fell on me. They had this glimmer in them, one which made me want to know everything that could make her smile like that and give it to her. She ran over to me and enveloped me in a hug, but I was too shocked to return the gesture. She stood like that for so long, and the feeling of happiness that spread through my heart made me want to scream in joy. I hugged her back, and her hold on me tightened. After some time, she seperated, and I expected her smile to vanish and her to become cold and distant once more, but I was surprised to see a tear skate down her cheek. I may have been mistaken, but she looked proud. Of me. 

And boy did that feel good.

"You got it." she whispered.

"Got what?"

She just smiled even wider and held my hand, leading me inside to her room. At first I was scared that Tobias was going to be there, but he wasn't. On the bed, there was a envelope, and I went to grab it when all of a sudden my breathing stopped. I didn't move at all and simply stared at the letter. 

And then it all dawned on me, yet I still couldn't breath. I had the letter. My Hogwarts Letter. 

I slowly picked it up, and opened it. Inside, there were two sheets.

***

 Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore

(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chief Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confederation of Wizards)

Dear Mr. Snape, 

We are pleased to inform you that you have a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipments.

Term begins on 1st September. We await your owl by no later than 31st July. 

Yours Sincerely,

Deputy Headmistress 

***

My heart was in my throat. I couldn't believe it. This letter meant so many things. 

It meant my freedom.

It meant I would have a home.

It meant I would have to leave my mother alone with that uncaring--

The realization hit me like like a bucket of cold water. After I went to Hogwarts, Mum would be left alone with Tobias, and I wouldn't be there to save her. To support her. But when I looked over, I just saw this sweet and amiable expression on her face, nothing else. 

"You're going to Hogwarts, Severus. I-isn't that great?" she asked, noticing the lines of worry etched across my face.

"I know. I've been waiting for this for so long. But what about you?"

"What about me?"

"Tobias."

"He doesn't matter. You just focus on yourself and this letter. Shouldn't you go show it to Lily?"

I'd completely forgotten about her. What if she got her letter today as well? I didn't wait one moment before clutching my envelope and dashing outside. As I ran towards her house, I thought about how she would react to my letter. We'd been dreaming about going to Hogwarts together for so long.