Moonrise

I knew the road to Moonrise would be difficult, but knowing and experiencing are two very different things. We stop halfway and make a small camp off the side of the path to rest. We left a small army gathering at the Inn, waiting for news to march after the leader of Moonrise Ketheric Thorm has been dealt with. Though, Halsin and Shadowheart are not aware of Astarion and I's plan. The plan we talked through after his revelation, and after he sobered up. We were keeping true to our word, we would help Halsin and Jaheira find a way stop the Shadow-Curse by finding the answer to Thorm's immortality, but we would not be sticking around for the battle. We would find our own way through the Shadow-Cursed Lands, find the Devil Raphel spoke of, so that we may find the answers to Astarion's back.  

Most people would probably feel guilty about betraying their friends, but I didn't. I felt in my heart that, what I was doing was right. That Astarion deserved help. I still believe it as I look at him now. I take a long swig from my leather water container. I am fully aware that this man could be manipulating me, but that awareness helps somehow. We start to pack up and then continue on, with the blessing from Isobel, the very same woman who kept the Inn safe. This blessing somehow kept us from the smothering curse as we made our way across the desolate landscape. We are walking through a deserted toll house, Halsin staying behind with Jaheira, awaiting our return. He didn't know that when we said goodbye, that it was going to be for the last time. Shadowheart peers at me suspiciously, and I avoid eye contact. 

She is right to be so untrusting, though I keep it in my thoughts that she has not fully trusted us either. That she still refuses to tell anyone about the contraption she carries. I do not think that she is a spy, but she surely knows more than she is letting on. When we approach the towers, two guards in heavy, polished armor hold out their weapons to stop us. Their guard drops the instant our worms pulsate. Stronger and stronger, my head starts to burn as we glance up at the large castle-like structure. I hear the two words True Souls, but I don't hear much else as Shadowheart and Astarion do all the talking to get us inside, Astarion's quip about men of their stature guarding gates makes me smile. 

Once inside, we are immediately brought into a large throne room. I cannot ignore the presence in here, and suddenly I am more afraid of the man in front of me than I am of the prospect of battling a Devil. The man pulls a giant axe out of his neck, blood splattering everywhere. He cuts the Goblin in half easily, as if it is no more than a loaf of bread. He speaks to his general, a Half-Orc who has hard eyes, and by the murmurs going around the room, ruthless in nature. After the old man with a long bloodied white beard whispers to the woman, he is quick to exit through large double doors. Those eyes behind that emerald skin watches us carefully, but she throws a smile on her face as she stomps over. 

"Z'rell" she dips her head in greeting, but it is her power that greets us. Authority courses through us, and I can feel how strong her power is, it is almost consuming. She makes a disgusted sound in her throat. "Curious. Make yourself useful and dispose of these useless things." She gestures to the other three Goblins. "Come and find me, and we can discuss how useful you will be for the cause. Or leave. Makes no difference to me." She narrows her eyes at us, and then turns to walk up the giant staircase leading to the second floor. 

I am floored, hardly able to recover as her power dissipates. I look at the Goblins cowering before us, looking up with their pleading looks. I know by the connection of the Tadpoles that they are savage, hungry beasts. One of them just yesterday ate the arm of a child. I swallow, knowing what I need to do. Knowing what Z'rell would do. She is the one we would need to impress to get closer to Thorm. I use the Illithid power to convince the Goblins to kill each other. As if they are taken over by a spirit, they turn to each other. It is interesting how their little bodies mutilate in the name of their God as they slash one another's throats. Astarion and Shadowheart seemingly approving of my choice.