Epilogue: Let's See What This Love Can Do

NPOV

Track: Stars Are Blind, Ivy Mono

"I did tell you that brute force wouldn't work," Sunburst laughs as he leans against the doorframe of the The Metropolitan Museum of Art's statue room. I don't know if it's officially called the statue room—I was a little busy trying to prevent a robbery to pay any attention to the signs—but I do know that his satisfied smirk when he finds me tied to one of the statues is simultaneously infuriating and heartstopping.

"Since when do I listen to you?" I ask, tugging at my bonds. "Are you going to untie me, or just stand there and laugh?"

He wanders around the statues, appreciating the art as if he was a regular museum visitor rather than a world-renowned superhero. "Hm, I mean, I don't know. We could make this into a date. They have some beautiful art here—it could be romantic to fight crime in an art museum."

I give him my best "I-am-so-done-with-you" look and tug at the ropes again. He's not in much of a hurry today—I guess he's not too worried about losing today's criminal. After all, he's got a near-perfect record. He's never chased a criminal that didn't end up in prison.

Well, except for me. But that hardly counts because he put me somewhere better than prison; he got me to stick by his side and help him fight crime in New York City.

He stops at the statue I'm currently tied to, putting a finger on his chin like he's an art critic deep in thought, but the amused smile on his face gives away that he's just doing this to piss me off. "Out of all the statues you could be tied to, this is a pretty good one. The robber has taste."

I roll my eyes. Of course Will would like the Venus Italica.

"She's beautiful," Will admires.

I'm about to tell him that I've had enough of his bisexual chaos, but he lifts one hand and lays it on my cheek. "But I think you might be the most beautiful piece of art here."

I try to ignore the way my face heats up—I've learned my lesson about trying to hide it. He can't tell how much his flirting affects me when I wear my mask, so if I play it cool, he'll never know.

"You think I might be your favorite piece of art here?" I tease as he finally reaches for the ropes to untie me. "Coul I be so easily replaced by statues?"

"Well, Venus is a close second in terms of beauty, Nico." He gives a final pull on one of the ends of the rope, and they finally fall loose. I step away from the statue and stride toward the doors leaving the room of statues. I suspect I know what painting the robber is going to steal, so I walk confidently through the halls. I would run, but to be honest, we rarely have to run to catch anyone anymore. Will and I have gotten our routine down almost to perfection; my stalking capabilities combined with his brave heroism are much to blame for that perfect villain-catching record.

I can hear him walking behind me—he's got my back, like always. When we first started, I would have checked behind me to make sure it's really him following me rather than the robber; now, I've memorized the sound of the way he walks. I know it's him without needing to look up.

"You know," I tell him, "you should probably be more careful about claiming Venus is close to stealing your heart. I used to be a villain. Maybe I'll rob the MET and hide the Venus Italica somewhere you can't look at it."

"You should be more careful," he counters, and I can hear the smile in his tone. "I'm kind of a big deal around here, you know. I could arrest you if you keep threatening to be a menace."