Chapter 16

Arthur arrived early to the meeting place and took up a post where he could cover most of the dock and the approaches. Arctic may be a big deal security Agent but he is on the run the same as me, he thought, scrutinizing every male in the area. Thirty minutes early, he spotted a car coast to a halt in the parking area and the driver remain inside. He left his post, and circled around, coming unobserved to the side of the car.

"Arctic." The name caused the driver to jerk around and freeze as the suppressor rested on the open window, inches from his face.

"Tate?"

Arthur moved around and climbed into the car, the gun resting on his lap. "I know you," he said. "You're that two pip, Major General Hunt. So, you're Arctic, my handler. Who'd have guessed."

"And you are Arthur Tate, traitor at large." Marshal relaxed slightly, his purpose returning.

"Pot and kettle there, Major General." Arthur smiled. "And in that light, I need a few things from you."

"I'm not in any position to do favours, Agent Tate."

"Then let me suggest you get in position, Hunt. I need money, for starters. So let's take a trip to your favourite ATM and begin." The gun came up threateningly.

Without argument, Marshal started the car and began backing out of the parking space. "In the glove compartment you'll find a folder with my personal cards."

Arthur reached for the compartment and saw Marshal's left hand come up with a gun. Both men acted at once; Marshal turned to bring his gun hand around, and Arthur thrust his gun into Marshal's side, pulling the trigger. The car rolled slowly to a halt against the fender of another vehicle.

"You crazy bugger, what did you try that for?" Arthur shouted.

Marshal's eyes rolled toward him, and then up into his head as he sagged forward onto the steering wheel. Cursing, Arthur struggled to get his foot on the gas and steer the car slowly back into the parking slot. He couldn't find the foot brake, and bumped to a stop against the guard rail.

He sat in the car watching the surrounding traffic for several minutes until he felt he was clear. A quick rifle through Marshal's pockets, getting his wallet and phone and then the glove compartment, not surprised it held nothing of value to him. He slipped out of the car and sauntered away, mingling with the people strolling on the dock.

******

"SR with more instructions?" Sheridan watched as Matt answered his phone, his eyes flicked from the road to her and back as he spoke. He was obviously answering awkward questions with coded phrases, and she assumed it was about her not being at the safe house.

"The phone came on again less than an hour ago, and they pinpointed it near the Island Ferry dock."

"What did they say about me?"

"Who said they said anything about you?"

"You did, with every blink, grimace, and your darting eyes."

"Fine. They weren't happy you were with me but they approved my reasoning."

"What reasoning? You never said anything about me."

He grinned and bumped a hand on the wheel. "Aha, so you haven't broken our coded speech yet, just my personal tells."

Her eyes slid over to his and she grinned back. "You've got that right."

The car rolled into the slower city traffic, and conversation faded. Matt focussed on driving, and Sheridan just stared out the window.

******