III - Tissues

Começar do início

After slightly pondering for a few seconds, 'I don't even have an Instagram. I'm not about to have her add my old one.' I thought. "Sorry, my Instagram is deactivated. You should send me yours instead. I'll be sure to follow you as soon as I put my Instagram back up." I suggested while taking hold of my things so that I could enter the line rather early. She kept her smile as she nodded and followed my actions so that we'd be boarding together.

Pieck was so right.

I needed these tissues so badly. Pieck and I were both sat in business class but unfortunately, we couldn't even reach each other because we were both given window seats. The only reason why I was stuck in business even though economy class would highly accommodate my pockets, all of the tickets were sold and I had to resort to business class.

Other than that, it felt great to have my own space to cry in. Not exactly as loud as I want, or as much as I please, but with the most privacy I could be given. No matter how much I tried I couldn't distract myself from the fact that I had just cut contact with my parents and moved to a whole new continent. It was a surreal feeling, not sure if it was particularly amazing, but it felt good to be finally free.

The aeroplane ride was extremely Swift. For the flight I entertained myself with various movies and finding new things about the internet that I had been restricted from. Even making an instagram account. I tried so hard not to fall asleep, even downing five energy drinks but I still ended up taking a short nap, waking up around dinner time. They served the usual trash aeroplane food that they usually provide. The plane is landing in about 1 hour. I slowly made my way to the bathroom and closed the door. 'This is real.' I thought, as I squatted over the toilet, hovering so I wouldn't be affected by the germs of thousands that have sat on that very toilet. I checked my phone noticing that It was now 9 hours ahead. I was so tired.

In the last hour, I made sure that I had freshened up on my old French enough to walk the streets of Paris safely. Throughout all of high-school I spoke french like it was my first language. Now, it's pretty rusty. On my way out of the bathroom I found Pieck. She was walking back to her seat from the opposite direction. "Hi again." She said with a tired smile. I smiled back returning her kindness.

We were about to pass each other when I realised that I could make her my friend and she could show me around or we could figure things out together. We were the only young people on this flight. I stopped abruptly, "Oh, wait!" She turned back to me and gave me another smile before trying to respond, but I accidentally cut her off. "Can I get your number? I don't actually have any friends in Paris and I'm moving alone, I could use somebody." I gave her an awkward look and she only smiled brighter.

"Of course!" She accepted, "I was only in the US for business I reside here in Paris. I could for sure help you out." She took a pen out of her back jeans pocket and she gave me a signal. A signal to bring my hand towards her. I gave her my hand and she started to write her digits on the back of my hand. She shoved the pen back into her pocket and gave me a quick hug, "I'll see you later." Before she hurried back to her seat as the intercom came on.

'All passengers to their seats and fasten their seatbelts. We will be landing very soon.'
'Tous les passagers prennent place et attachent leur ceinture. Nous allons bientôt atterrir.'

I turned back and made my way to my seat, fastening my seatbelt. I could feel the smile on my face as I sat down. I was so happy to meet people who I know will care about me and not about my social or economical status.

It wasn't too long until I made it to the hotel. I'd only be spending the night since I'd see my new landlord the following day. It was late as is and I was ready to sleep. I had help bringing my suitcases up from the very handsome bell attendants since it was way too heavy to carry on my own. I undressed and lay flat down on the bed. While it was 11 PM in Paris, it was 2 PM back at home. All I could wonder was, 'Have they found out that I'm gone? Gone for good?'

It felt great, yeah. But, I felt a wave of guilt hit me as soon as I had started to relax. This was going to be a long story. A long, exhausting story.

Slowly, I leaned over and grabbed my purse. My hand fished for some of my melatonin pills. The moment I found them relief filled me, almost washing away all of the guilt. Almost. I swallowed the pills quickly without water and stood to undress. I didn't even need the melatonin with how tired I was. But usually, it would work because It always felt like I was taking a nap whenever I'd travel this far. I need to meet my landlord at 1 PM so that I'd get a key to my apartment and then I'd be able to move my things in and go furniture shopping.

Although this was supposed to be an exciting time, I felt only relieved. I thought about calling Pieck when I was done with the landlord so that we could meet for some coffee.

Another thing that I wondered about is if I'd be able to see my old friends again. I know many of them are in the spotlight, like Yelena. She's a model now, she was on the cover of so many magazines that I almost became envious. And Mikasa, she's been shown on a couple of billboards promoting different brands and I figured out she was an actress from being the face of a recent movie.

It seemed that everyone I had previously known had gone to live big lives. They lived out their dreams while I maintained dreams that I could've never thought of living out.