Chapter 8: Happy Birthday Hiroto!

(A/N: This is more of a one-shot for Hiroto's birthday, so happy birthday, Hiroto! I also made a small change in Ch. 7, Huroto will be turning 10, not 11)

Akuma POV

It was about 6:00 in the morning, I had pushed myself to wake up early just to prepare for the birthday surprise. It wasn't gonna be much, but only because I knew Hiroto, as much as he loved attention, he would want something small and light. I had already received fishing rods for later, thanks to Kyojuro-san, now I just had to make sure that Hiroto wouldn't arrive.

"Akumaaaa!" I heard him shout out, I looked out the window and saw him running towards me with a big grin on his face.

Damn it.

I glanced around quickly in an attempt to find something that would help me hide. When that went in vain, I resorted to hiding in the corner of the room, in a small chest, one just big enough to fit a child. I heard his eager footsteps trot over to my room before it stopped.

"Oh, Hiroto. I see you broke in again." I heard my brother mention. I was so grateful at that moment as I was sure he would escort him out, knowing about my surprise. But boy, was I wrong. My brother's voice suddenly turned a bit happy, as he said, "Well, I suppose it's alright, Akuma would be happy to meet you. I have to go train but you have fun."

Why does he have to be all nice and forgiving now?! Come on!

I could almost hear Onii-chan slightly laughing under his breath, which ticked me off. Just let him wait till later, I'm gonna get him for this.

"Akuma?" Hiroto whispered, "Where are you?" I heard him walk all around the room, tapping on walls and stomping on the ground. "Have you turned invisible?" He asked in a confused voice. "Noo, don't disappear, you need to liveeee." He whined. I almost cracked up but forced myself to calm down, not to make a sound and reveal my hiding spot.

"Oh, it's you, Hiroto!" I heard another voice say it was Kyojuro-san's. "How are you?"

"Oh, umm, I'm fine... what about you, Rengoku-san?" Hiroto was a bit surprised since it was the first time they had met for a while.

"Well, I am doing well. I heard it is your birth anniversary!

I almost cracked up again at 'birth anniversary' but forced my laughter down my throat in an attempt to conceal my presence.

"Yeah," Hiroto started. "I'm turning eleven."

"Is that so. Well, happy birthday!" Kyojuro-san's voice was louder and full of life, much different than the other members of the household. Onii-chan rarely spoke loud, Senjuro was too shy, and I found no benefit in raising my voice.

I found myself zoning out, only hearing the muffled conversation between the two. There had been something bothering me since the day Ruka-sama passed. I thought it was all clear when I learned about the strange ability I had somehow acquired, but it wasn't. I had thought that distracting myself with more enjoyable activities would work, but that didn't either.

Not wanting to burden anyone with my thoughts, I forced a smile onto my face and shook away any thoughts or confusion I was having, making sure that I would look fine and presentable at any moment.

Curling up inside the box, my shoulders relaxed, and I let out a gentle sigh as I heard Hiroto skip away from the room, still calling my name. Slowly and gently, I lifted the top of the box and peeked out.

Nobody.

I crawled out of the box and streched for a while, relieving the tension that had built up. I took out the fishing rods and escaped out the window.