Chapter 4: Friend

Akuma POV

It had been 3 months since I and Onii-chan were free from the snake demon. Ruka-san asked us if we wanted to live with them until we became demon slayers. Obviously, I agreed. I was too young to train, but Onii-chan wasn't, so I would watch him.

"Akuma..." I turned around to see Ruka-san. There was a small boy with her.

Who the heck is that?

The boy looked about my age. He walked over and smiled at me.

"You must be Iguro-chan." He exclaimed.

My eyebrows furrowed at the name he called me.

"Call me Akuma, I'm nine years old. Who are you?" I asked, tilting my head.

"Oh! I'm Hiroto, I'm also nine years old!" He almost shouted.

I pressed my hands over my ears, " You don't have to shout." I said in a monotone voice.

I looked at Ruka-san. "Should I help you with anything?" I asked with a small smile.

"Um, well, I wanted to introduce you two, but it looks like you already did." She said, smiling. "How about you two get to know each other."

"Well, Onii-chan is training with Kyojuro-san, so sure." I replied,"Let's go to the garden."

I grabbed his wrist and pulled him outside.

"So, you want to be a demon slayer?" I asked once we reached a small hill.

His eyes turned sad, and he looked at the grass underneath us.

"Sorry." I said.

"No, it's ok... it's just. I don't want others to go through what I did." He replied in a sad voice.

I just looked at him and rubbed his shoulder.

"You can talk about it if you want." I said.

He just looked at me and nodded.

"Well, it happened so fast, you know. I was just having a normal dinner with my parents," His voice started to break. "And then a demon entered and immediately killed both of them. I tried to run, but he caught me. I would have been dead if Rengoku-san didn't save me."

Shinjuro-san? That explains why he's here.

I looked at him as he started to tear up.

Shit!

"My mother was pregnant, I was going to have a little brother." He choked out.

I gave him a hug.

"It's ok, you'll be fine." I said soothingly.

I felt him relax in my arms. After I pulled away, he smiled at me.

"You know, you're not half as bad," I said, lying down on the grass. "I guess you could be my friend."

He chuckled, "I'll take it." He replied.

After that, Hiroto and I met almost every day. I even sometimes stayed at his house.

(Timeskip: 1 month)

"HEY! Akuma!" I heard someone shout.

I turned around to see Hiroto run towards me.

Normally, I would be happy to see him, but it was 6 in the morning, and I had just woken up. Everyone in the Rengoku household knew that I needed at least 1 hour to really wake up, and they did not want to annoy me until then.

Irk marks appeared on my face, and I looked at him.

"Damn, someone's gonna die today." My brother, who had also woken up, said in a monotone voice.