Chapter 1: Cage

Tw (gore mentions)

Akuma POV

I looked down at the man kneeling below me, he has cuts all over his body and was holding gold coins in his hands.

Do I really have to do this? Well, I have to, but I can run away now. No, Akuma! You will die. Just grab the money and leave!

I grabbed the money and put it in my pocket... I was just about to leave, but then I heard Mother shout.

"AKUMA! What do you think you're doing? You have to finish him off!

I froze. Of course, she wouldn't let me spare him. I pulled out the knife with hesitation, my arm shaking just at the thought of stabbing him.

"Come on, Aku chan~ if you don't want me to kill your brother... you should do it before it's too late, " the snake demon told me.

Kill him...

What-what!

You heard me, kill him

But if I ki-

I SAID KILL HIM!

No!

I woke up with a shout, sweat rolling down my cheek. Instantly, tears started to fall, and I started to sob.

"Aku?"

I heard my big brother call my name. He shifted as he woke up and looked at me with tired eyes.

"Are you crying? He asked, his eyes softening.

Shoot! I woke up Onii-chan.

I just nodded and curled up, hugging my knees.

"I- It's ok, Onii-chan, " I choked out.

He moved closer to me and wrapped his arm around me. I just buried my face into his shoulders and let my tears flow, wetting his clothes.

"Shh, it okay, it's going to be ok... just close your eyes, " he whispered, patting my head.

I did as told and closed my eyes. I was tired... tired of this cage, tired of the putrid food given every day, tired of stealing, and tired of watching Onii-chan suffer. I was 9 years old and had assisted   the STUPID snake demon in robbing more than 15 households.

Why? Why does this happen to me? Is it too much to ask for a normal family?

I shook my head.

Come on, Akuma, complaining is not going to take you anywhere. Just stay hopeful. Something good will happen... I hope.

"Aku, do you want to sleep next to me?" Onii-chan asked with concern.

"Ok..." I responded

I crawled over and lay down next to him. Before I knew it, I had fallen asleep.

The next day, I woke up and did not see Onii-chan with me, I panicked and searched every corner of the cage for him, but I still couldn't see him. I was too scared to call his name. I just started to cry, assuming the worst.

No, there's no way that stupid snake demon ate him. She would want him to grow up more. Come on, Akuma! THINK!

Before I could come up with a hypothesis, someone was thrown in the cage. I turned around, and much to my horror, it was Onii-chan! H-his mouth was cut like a snakes and it was bleeding a lot! He looked like he was in a lot of pain.

No, no, NO! How could I let this happen!?

I instantly ran towards him and cupped his face with my hands. Warm tears ran down his cheeks as he started to hyperventilate.

"O-Onii-chan, look at me! Please!" I pleaded.

Shoot! It's no use. He won't listen

I quickly grabbed some clean bandages and cleaned the blood with it. I then took some more and wrapped it around his mouth like a mask, as to prevent the bleeding. After that, I pulled him close and rubbed soothing circles on his back to help him calm down. This is what he used to do to me when I had a panic attack, and it helped.

"Shh, shh... it's ok, it's ok...  just breath, you'll be fine." I whispered in his ear.

After a while, I could hear his breathing slow down, and he stopped shaking. He finally looked at me, and I could tell that he had seen her. He had seen the filthy snake demon keeping us captive.

Shoot! We can't stay here any longer... they'll feed us to the ugly snake demon. I don't want Onii-chan to die! I dont want to die! We need to get out of here.

I looked around the cage, searching every corner for even the smallest tool to get us out of here. My shoulders dropped when I couldn't see anything.

Just face it, Akuma, we're never getting out of here.

A single tear slid down my cheek as I walked over to Onii-chan, who was now sleeping.
The rest of the week was the same... I helped Onii-chan with his bandages and tried to find ways to escape. I had memorised the times when there were people near the cage and when the snake demon was out.
Suddenly, a deep chill ran down my spine as I felt a deadly aura behind me, I looked behind me and saw the snake demon lying down in front of the cage.

"We're not planning on ESCAPING, are we? She said with a cold voice."

I shook my head.

"Good," was all she said before slithering away.

Onii-chan walked over to me and placed his hands on my shoulders

"I'm sorry," he mumbled, looking down.

My eyebrows raised as I looked at him.

"What do you mean by sorry?"

"I'm sorry for being a burden, for making you do all the work, and for making you deal with this. I should be the one taking care of you! Instead, here I am, with a stupid bandage wrapped around my mouth. If only I was stronger, I could help you..."

"Onii-chan, stop." I said with a stern face.

I cupped his face in my hands before moving forward and hugging him.

"It's not your fault! You always help me if I have nightmares or panic attacks, so don't think that you are not helping," I whispered.

I pulled away, and he just nodded.

"We should go to sleep, I'll look for a new way out tomorrow. Ok?"

He just nodded, and we went to sleep on the thin, rough futons in the corner of the cage.

Taisho secret

Akuma means devil, and she was given her name by her mother, who saw her as a little devil when she was a baby. This is because she once ripped off the snake demons thumb with her brute strength when she was going to be sacrificed. The snake demon decided to keep her Akuma as an assistant for robbing because of her strength.

Word count: 1120