CH. 23 A Conversation with Lizzy

Everyone got in their respective cars. Guren and his squad got in the car they had arrived in. The Shinoa squad in Lor Crowley's car. Mika in Lizzy's car. The car that had somehow fit in one of her three planes. It was white and considerably nicer than the others. She took pride in her car. She took pride in everything about herself, and Mika couldn't help admiring that. He was glad he'd met her. He was glad she was there. He was glad she was by his side.

***

         "So, what's going on with you and Yuu?" Lizzy asked suddenly.

         They had been driving in silence for almost an hour. A comfortable silence just for them. It had always been comfortable with Lizzy. It was never awkward between them. They were honest with each other in a way they could never be with other people. 

         "He made a choice," Mika said matter-of-factly.

        "What kind of choice?" Lizzy asked nonchalantly. 

        "A choice that makes my death pointless." 

        "You made a point of dying?" she asked raising an eyebrow but not looking away from the empty road. The only other cars belonged to Guren and Lord Crowley. She took notice of how beaten Guren's looked. Lord Crowley's was more presentable, but it didn't shine the way hers did. 

         "You know what I mean." Mika looked out the window. Or out where the window would have been, had the convertible had the roof up. Which it rarely did. Lizzy liked the wind blowing in her silky hair.

         "You mean that you died to make a point of him living?" she asked.

         "That makes no sense."

         "Exactly." 

         Mika rolled his eyes. "What I mean is that I laid there dying so that he could run away and live."

         "And you regret that?"

         "No."

         "Then what's the problem?" she asked, taking a sip through a straw from a cup Mika hadn't noticed was in the cupholder.

         "The problem is that he's choosing to just die now! Like what the hell was the point of me becoming a vampire then? He was supposed to live, Lizzy. I died for him to live," he emphasized. "And what is that?"

         "Love is supposed to be unconditional, Mika. And it's blood, want some?" She offered him the cup.

         He already knew it was blood. The cup was clear, meaning he could clearly see the red of the liquid inside it. He took it. "I know, Lizzy but... ugh!" He took a frustrated sip of the blood. It didn't taste good, but it quenched the thirst a bit.

         "It still hurts," Lizzy said what Mika hadn't.

         "Yeah. And it just pisses me off that he doesn't fucking care," he put the cup back in the cupholder with a little more force than was necessary.

         "I'm sure that's not true," she nodded. "But tell me exactly what happened." 

         "I already told you," Mika looked at her confused.

         "You told me how you feel and why. I want to know what you did." 

         "What I did?" he repeated. He turned and looked at her, feeling insulted by her question.

         "Yeah," she said. She turned to look at him with an expecting raise of her eyebrows. Waiting for him to answer.

         "I didn't do anything!" Mika yelled his answer in frustration. "He's the one that-"