You Catch Him Singing

You stumble down the stairs, yawn, and stretch. Your parents were really going at it with each other last night and you couldn't stand to stay in the house. B/f/n's family is on vacation, so you came out to the monastery to sleep over.

It looks like the monastery is deserted—the ninja are probably on a mission somewhere. The Overlord may be gone, but that doesn't mean that there isn't still regular crime in Ninjago.

You're on your way to the kitchen for breakfast when you hear music blaring from the living room. You tiptoe closer to the door as quietly as possible. Who's playing music? Your question is answered when You Make Me Feel by Cobra Starship starts and you hear someone singing along. Kai.

"Girl, I've been all over the world looking for you.

I'm known for taking what I think I deserve, and you're overdue."

You peek around the edge of the doorway and can't resist a grin as Kai starts winding up for the chorus. He's actually a pretty good singer...but why should he get to have all the fun? You try not to laugh at his crazy dance moves.

"What I've been missing in my life, what I've been dreaming of,

You'll be that, girl,

You'll be—"

You step into the room, earning a startled yelp from Kai, and launch into the next part of the song.

"—everything you want, so let me get up there.

I'm the baddest baby in the atmosphere.

Tell me what you want so we can do just what you like."

Kai raises an eyebrow and smirks at you, then starts singing the chorus. The two of you rock out until the song's over, then collapse onto the couch.

"That was fun," you say with a grin. "Let's do it again sometime."

"Let's not give me a heart attack, though," Kai protests. "For a minute, I thought you might be the guys."

"Scared that they won't like your dancing?" you ask. You stand up and imitate some of Kai's dance moves.

Kai's face goes red. "I'm not scared! But you know them. If they caught me dancing, I'd never hear the end of it!"

You laugh. "Yeah, sure. Where are the others, anyway? Not that I'm complaining."

"Oh, they're off dealing with a bank robbery in Ninjago City. Sensei wouldn't let me come because I pulled a muscle in training yesterday and he didn't want me to 'aggravate the injury.'" Kai uses his fingers to make air quotes on the last three words.

"Um, are you sure we're talking about the same Sensei Wu here?" you laugh. "Isn't he the guy who hits you with his staff all the time?"

Kai laughs. "That's him. I'm not complaining, mind you. How else am I supposed to spend time alone with my girlfriend?"

"Careful," you warn. "Knowing our luck, they'll walk back through the door right now."

"Quit jinxing it and cuddle," Kai orders, pulling you close.

"Or..." you say mischievously.

"Or what?"

"We could have a dance-off!" You jab the playbutton on the stereo. "Come on, Hothead! Dance!"