His Worst Fear

"This is gonna be so awesome!" you say with a grin. It took a lot of convincing, but Kai agreed to spend a day at the beach with you. You've got your f/c swimsuit, beach towel, sunscreen, and, most importantly, your boyfriend. Although Kai has made it very clear that he's going under protest.

"Come on, Kai, cheer up!" you tease as you lead Kai down a short path to the beach. "We've got a whole day to ourselves! We're gonna go swimming, play Frisbee, all sorts of fun stuff!"

"Yeah, whatever," Kai mutters. You frown and glance at him out of the corner of your eye. This isn't like Kai at all. Is he just in a bad mood, or is something else going on here?

You quickly forget your worries when you reach the beach. You get busy, laying out blankets, setting up the picnic lunch you packed, and applying sunscreen.

"Last one in the water is a rotten egg!" You run to the ocean, whooping, and dive into the surf. It's cold, but not intolerable. You poke your head up and shake water out of your eyes. That's when you notice that Kai's still on the beach.

You climb out of the water, shivering a little as the breeze hits your wet skin, and head toward him. "What's the matter, Hothead? The water's not that cold!"

Your smile fades as you get closer to Kai. He looks nervous.

"What's wrong?" you ask.

Kai takes a deep breath and stares down at the sand. "Promise not to tell anyone?"

You nod. "I promise."

Kai takes another breath and looks straight at you. "Ever since I was a little kid, I've hated going near water because I'm afraid I'll drown."

"I guess I can understand that," you say, remembering the time Kai almost did drown.

"Yeah, I know, it's really stupid," Kai says. "I can't even swim. Nya tried to get me to take swimming lessons once, and I had to hide in the locker room for every class because I was too scared to get in the pool."

"It doesn't sound stupid!" you protest. "You want a stupid fear? I'm scared of noodles. They just freak me out for some reason."

"So...no water?" Kai asks hopefully.

You grin at Kai, reach into your beach bag, and pull out a Frisbee. "Go long!"

Kai runs back up the beach. "Let's see if you can throw hard enough"

"Let's see if you can run fast enough!" You throw the Frisbee way up the beach, so Kai has to chase it.