XII 🐹 Daphne Finds Paradise Again! (1)

chapter  XII

chapter  XII

🌷 Daphne groaned as she rose and almost instantly regretted it. Her head was throbbing and she wavered when she noticed the endless ocean around them, overcoming her senses with another batch of seasickness.

Good things about waking up: She was alive! Hurrah!

Bad things about waking up: The embarrassing memory of fainting in the middle of a life or death situation. Seriously, she hoped nobody remembered this part. She knew she couldn't handle the vast ocean, but Gods, she was so embarrassed! Daphne had tackled a pack of hellhounds when she was just twelve, fought off a Fury when she was just 10 with nothing but but water? No.

"Morning, sleeping beauty," Annabeth hummed. Daphne noticed that she and Percy were also on the life raft, but the boy still hadn't awoken yet.

Daphne groaned again. "Did we live?"

"Barely," Annabeth answered, casting a glance at her. "Listen - it's not your fault-"

"Don't." Daphne interrupted her, looking off into the distance and trying not to cry. She was so pathetic. She could've - would've - should've died. Though she was safe on the boat, she felt like she was drowning. "Don't even try to make me feel good about this, Annabeth."

Annabeth chewed on her lip but knew better to say anything more. Suffice to say, the rocking of the seas was a lot more awkward in the silence.

Percy woke up, laying beside the makeshift sail stitched of gray uniform fabric. Annabeth sat next to him, still tacking into the wind as Daphne sat on the other side of the boat with her arms crossed miserably. Her eyes were closed, head falling down as she tried not to look out into the sea.

He tried to sit up and immediately felt woozy, just like Daphne had the entire trip.

"Rest," Annabeth commanded without looking back over to him. "You're going to need it."

"Tyson... ?" he trailed off.

She shook her head. "Percy, I'm really sorry."

They were silent while the waves tossed the liferaft up and down. Daphne remembered that the last she saw of him was when he disappeared into the lower deck.