Hongjoong stared at his profile. At his serene peace.

Who was this man?

"Why would ye do that? Did madness befall ye?" Hongjoong whispered. He didn't understand. Seonghwa was at the top. Had anything he ever worked for. No feeling was worth giving up his entire life.

"I didn't lose anything. Everything I wanted to protect is here with me," Seonghwa replied, like some maniac who sweltered under the scorching sun for too long.

"Yer work, Seonghwa. Yer life. Yer love fer the briney deep."

"None of that matters if you aren't there."

They stepped outside. The sun was still so bright and this time, Hongjoong shielded his eyes from it. His hands were free. His legs unbound. He could go wherever he wanted. Could taste the sea again. Emerged alive from the hall that swallowed pirates into darkness without fail.

But the sacrifice for all that had been too great.

When he stared at Seonghwa in silence, he wanted there to be another way. Wanted Seonghwa to go back and ask them for forgiveness and to take him back in. Wanted him to return to his life.

But it was over. No one would trust him anymore. At his stubborn speed, he ruined everything before Hongjoong could stop him.

Seonghwa smiled down at him and swiped the gritty hair from Hongjoong's haunted eyes.

"You would have done the same, Hongjoong. If it were pirates judging upon me. I know you would have."

Would he? Hongjoong didn't know. His heart hammered in his chest.

"What now?" He asked instead. He couldn't think about this. Who were they now? What was left to do if their lives ended here? 

Seonghwa sighed, looking into the far skies while the barracks bustled around them. Suddenly, no one cared about Hongjoong anymore. They did their daily business as the world kept spinning.

"We should lie low. They weren't joking; I betrayed the royal crown and abused my position. Perhaps we can find a little hut somewhere and grow our food ourselves. I never thought of a life outside the navy, but I suppose we have to learn."

He was mad. Chuckled to himself as if he was at peace with this. As if he was glad he made this decision.

Hadn't he been so proud of his newest brooch just a week ago? No, Cabezon loved his life as a jack tar. And he threw it away.

Seonghwa continued when Hongjoong stared at him in silence.

"We fought so long on opposite sites I grew sick of it. I'm sorry I had to take your freedom, but this is the only way you could survive. You don't have to be with me. Be free, but be subtle about it. Just make sure you relish this second chance, so I know it was worth it."

"Why?" Hongjoong gagged out against the knot inside his throat. "Why would ye do that? Why would ye-"

"I need you to live," Seonghwa whispered with his eyes cast onto the ground. "I don't care what you do and who you are with. Just live."

Hongjoong felt feverish again. He waned under the sun, and Seonghwa caught him around his waist. The awful melancholy on his features dissipated as he cradled Hongjoong's malnourished body close.

"Come on, let's find an inn for the night so you can rest. We can talk about anything else once you wake up. Everything changed, but we can figure it out. I have money."

Faint, Hongjoong clung to him on their way into the town. No jack tar bothered them anymore. Did the pirates even glance over? Did everyone suddenly forget about them?