7. Forbidden Utter

Minimally and after a lot of medical balms and food, Hongjoong started feeling better. His mind's haze cleared and the pain of his leg dulled. Soon, he could sit upright again and think properly.

Though the hopelessness of his situation had him spiral into madness even more when sober, he was glad to have his ability to think back. Because his mind kept returning to Seonghwa. To that foolish commodore who still protected him while every guard whispered about them now. Who teetered so dangerously on the edge of having his dirty little secret uncovered.

If someone held a knife to Hongjoong's throat and demanded Seonghwa to confess, the pirate was scared Seonghwa actually would.

He needed to end this predicament. The trial would be tomorrow, thanks to the explicit demand of the guards to get rid of the dangerous pirate in their midst. Hongjoong figured he had to thank that skittish guy. He often kept an eye on him, made sure the other guards wouldn't taunt the pirate. Though he got mocked for it, he only needed to mention Seonghwa for everyone else to back away with a grumble. 

Hongjoong was glad the suffering finally came to an end. He was sick of this cell and of worrying for that foolish Cabezon and his crew. Once his death was made public, Seonghwa could heal and his crew would move on with their new lives. They already had everything they needed and Hongjoong's assembled riches were their goodbye payment.

Alas, Seonghwa had always been so stubborn. So he came to the prison the night before the trial and ushered the guards out.

Making himself look even more suspicious.

Hongjoong scowled at him when Seonghwa knelt before the cell, not daring to open it. Scared of what he might do. How they might get caught.

The pirate's ire sparked a faint smile on Cabezon's lips. 

"Glad to see you back up," he muttered, even when Hongjoong barely taunted back.

"I told ye to heave, Cabezon," Hongjoong warned. He much rather would be part of the prison secrets and abuse if it meant Seonghwa could move on. This hesitation made things infinitely more complicated, and Hongjoong hated that sting in his chest when he looked at Seonghwa.

Because Seonghwa always looked so close to crying when they made eye contact.

Did he cry alone in his room? He lost weight and sleep fretting over Hongjoong. It was written all over his face for any fool to see. 

But tonight, his eyes sparked with mischief and determination. As if he found a secret new formula for some good grog. Or as if he wanted to break Hongjoong out of there against his better judgment.

Seonghwa could do it with little ado. Get him out and away from this place. 

But then he would be executed for high treason. And Hongjoong wouldn't make it far with the entire navy on his heels.

Hongjoong wouldn't let him. Even if Seonghwa handed him a key, Hongjoong would call for the guards, asking them to take away this madman and assign him some proper commander who could sign the final papers. 

Seonghwa had also never looked weaker than this.

"I thought of something. Something to save both of us," Seonghwa muttered. They were both cunning, knew this was the end of the road. 

And nothing he could say would change that.

Hongjoong was tired of it. 

"Leave it be, Cabezon. Ye did more than enough already. So many deadlights spy ye right now. Unless I dance the hempen's jig, they will nay leave ye be." If Seonghwa wanted to save his career, this was the moment where they had to stop. When he had to accept Hongjoong's refusal for mercy.