9. Dead Men

While Seonghwa helped Hongjoong to his feet, the clergy was ushered outside for being too agitated in the neutral house of the law. The judge remained and a few courier boys hastened about, quick to bring the message to those who mattered before the entire fortress would sink into chaos and murder Seonghwa in his sleep. The church would spread the word quickly to unite the people and the soldiers against their sinful commodore, so it was wisest to get out of here as smartly as Hongjoong's leg could move.

But where to? They were nothing now. Seonghwa had no title and Hongjoong couldn't go back to the sea unless he wanted to demolish everything Seonghwa had done for him.

More than ever, Hongjoong wanted to protest and demand them to let him hang and reinstall Seonghwa into his honourable position, but he had no power here. Seonghwa ruled this place. He abused his power and position for the first and last time.

The governor of this area came striding in among the mayhem and joined with the judge. After a hasty exchange, he hastened to Seonghwa's side. Didn't understand why he was looking at a grimy pirate in the supportive arm of his best soldier.

"Are you sure about this, Seonghwa? You know what this means?" His hand patted Seonghwa's shoulder, worried about him as if he were his son. 

Hongjoong bit his lip. The betrayal gnawed at him as if he was the one going against the people who gifted him with life. With safety and a name.

But Seonghwa knew how the church would treat him once word got out. In the past, he obeyed blindly. But ever since he knew Hongjoong, his heart steered his choices. And he was sick of hiding who he was and whom he loved.

While Hongjoong always wished for him to break free of his shackles, the end of it was appalling. Seonghwa left everything behind. The things Hongjoong always deemed as abusive and holding him back had carried Seonghwa through life.

"Yes, sir. He is that important to me."

The governor wrung his hand over his haggard face. He didn't understand how it could come to this, but he didn't have to. Seonghwa made a request, an unlawful one. And they allowed him because he was capable. 

It had been a gamble, but Seonghwa was shrewd. He knew to play his relationships in his favour.

"I will look over this in exchange for your hard work and since this pirate hasn't been dangerous in recent times, but I don't want to see your face ever again, Seonghwa. I will lock you up," the governor also threatened. "The law and the church are no longer by your side."

"Yes, sir," Seonghwa replied immediately. "I will see to this pirate's truce and never demand anything again. Just let us go."

Cowardly, those jack tar. Did whatever they pleased. For once, their corruption came in handy.

Though the governor looked crushed at losing Seonghwa, he nodded. They should have known back then when he was first disciplined for sodomy. What type of man he was.

But no one, not even Hongjoong, thought him foolish enough to lose his heart to a pirate.

"Get out of here. I will take care of matters on my side. From today onwards, you are dead, Park Seonghwa. You and your pirate. Died in a tragic last embrace as you defied the law."

Seonghwa's grin was bright.

"Thank you, sir. I shan't peek from my grave ever again."

The governor let them go and marched off to bribe the church for their silence.

And just like that, everything ended. For Seonghwa, for Hongjoong. Time stood still. 

Seonghwa carefully led Hongjoong to the doors, mindful of his injured leg. Not mentioning what he did, as if it were something minor to brush off.