14. A New Morning Dawns

A few weeks after the private wedding night, which still had them blushing, thinking back on, the rest of the Silent Executioners hoisted the mizzen for a visit. They found the bay thanks to the letters Seonghwa and Hongjoong wrote to them, and soon, the Grief's proud flag danced on the horizon.

Hongjoong awaited them on the shore with a big grin on his face. The white sand glinted under a bright sun. The ocean in this area was beautiful, clear, and rich with life. As it carried the Grief's creaking wood towards them, Hongjoong was happy to see both his old home and his new one unite.

Seonghwa emerged from their hut to greet the pirates as well. The crew hollered all over each other to throw out the anchor and - since these were shallow, safe waters - didn't bother with a rowing boat. One by one, they dived over the railing, splashing eagerly to get to their waiting captain. Jongho was with them, and Yunho sailed through the air, cawing 'captain, captain' in his scratchy voice. When he fluttered to sit on Seonghwa's shoulder, the man craned a surprised head at him. Almost flattered to be the parrot's choice.

"Cabezon, Cabezon!"

Hongjoong broke out in laughter at Seonghwa's abrupt scowl.

"Someone remembers ye, 'ow lovely," he rejoiced with a snicker. Seonghwa looked about ready to launch the bird, only holding back for his namesake.

Sopping wet, Hongjoong's crew found footing on the sand and waded from the mellow waves. Their grins were bright with glee when they spotted him in one piece and turned smug when they recognised the man by his side.

Yeosang was the first to make his way up, and he didn't hesitate to wrap his arms around Hongjoong in a tight hug. Everyone barely recognised their captain, beaming on the peaceful beach without any crime on his hands.

"Ahoy, matey," Hongjoong purred at him when Yeosang couldn't get any words out. Hongjoong wrapped his second arm around Wooyoung, who came springing with a matching grin on his face. They got the ocean water all over their captain, but their hugs were warm and affectionate.

"Heave, scallywags," Mingi grumbled, plucking Yeosang off to bend down and hug Hongjoong as well. Jongho helped San out of the water with his wooden leg and soon, Hongjoong had greeted them all. Proud of his lovely bunch, he invited them over to their home. Still humble, but lived-in and expanding now under the hands tending to it.

"Get cosy, mateys," he offered, and they came clambering with their weapons and the bottles of rum they brought for Hongjoong. He hadn't asked for those, but they knew he would need them. If not to stay sane under the sun, then to stay sane in the same four walls as Seonghwa all day. With the ship as their panorama and the waves rushing in a sound most like home, they huddled on the sand together, drying off while they finally cleared up all their questions.

"We thought ye fish food, Captain. Rumours been all o'er the town that the jack tar finally caught ye," Yeosang caught up with the nightmare that kept them up until Seonghwa's letter arrived.

"Been about to break ye out, aye," San added. They opened a few bottles to share a drink and watched with wide eyes how Seonghwa leaned into Hongjoong's shoulder, drinking the disgusting rum along with them. His presence here was both natural and the greatest riddle in their eyes.

"Rumours spoke true," Hongjoong grumbled. Though he healed from his injuries and Seonghwa's presence absolved him of the worst torment, the anxiousness of the week spent in there left a dark mark on his soul.

"I been captured after me meetin' with Cabezon an' carted off to 'ang. It be thanks to 'im we made it out."

Curious eyes flicked over to Seonghwa. They noticed the lack of a uniform and brooches on him, his relaxed position and wind-ruffled hair. It wasn't difficult to guess what had happened. If Seonghwa were still in his position, they couldn't spend their days here at leisure. Wouldn't have built a home and a station for their fishing business.