6

Lois flung a clean dress on and hurried to open the door. A whirlwind of red and white greeted her. Bursts of powerful wind pulled her hair back, nearly knocking her off her feet. A piece of sticky bacon slammed into her face.

"Bad Krypto!" Barry screamed somewhere in the mess, running like mad. A cloud of crimson lightning swirled around their front lawn. She made out the outline of Krypto's white tail before he disappeared in a blur.

There was a thunking noise and a red container whirled toward her. Lois screamed, raising her hands to shield herself. Suddenly Sturdy hands caught the container seconds before it hit her. Lois processed the smell of sugary bacon before a white blob barrelled into Clark. Clark yelped and was knocked clear off his feet. He fell head-first into the planter by the door. It shattered to pieces instantly, spraying dirt everywhere.

Clark sat up and glared at Krypto.

I'm going to kill that mutt.

"Watch out!" Barry squealed, tripping on a frozen puddle, and careening forward at full speed. Clark's eyes widened but he was too slow. Barry crashed into Clark; they collapsed against the planter. Clark was not going to be happy about that.

"Those planters were a wedding gift from my mom!" he screamed in Barry's face.

"He started it!" Barry pointed accusingly at Krypto, who had forgotten all about the bacon and was happily digging in the snow. Eira growled and plucked Krypto out of the snow. He dangled from his Ma's mouth, writhing and wiggling in defiance, but Eira didn't let up. She shot Clark a long warning look begging her eldest to stay put. Then there was a gust of wind and she and Krypto were gone.

Lois ran to retrieve her bacon from the ground. Her tummy rumbled with anticipation of the sugary delight. "Victory!" She squealed, opening the lid and scarfing down a fistful of sticky bacon. Maple syrup and brown sugar melted down her throat, filling her with bliss. "Oh, Barry, I could kiss you," she moaned, sounding more aroused than she meant to. "This is heavenly."

Clark sat up brushing some dirt off his head."I could have made you that!" Lois wiped the syrup off her face, sheepishly surveying her soiled dress.

"He was already running to Smallville . . ." Lois explained lamely. "It was no big deal."

"Not a big deal?" Clark said incredulously. "That's my job!" he bit his lower lip nervously and looked sidelong at Barry.

Shut up now, before you tip off the blabbermouth of the JLA.

"I'm sorry," Clark forced the words out. "It was good of you to check up on me," he smiled forcefully. "You can see I'm clearly fine," Clark waved his hands exaggeratedly. He looked odd standing barefooted in the snow, wearing nothing but black boxers.

"You can go back to Central City now."

Barry's brow knitted together with concern. On a good day getting bowled over by the Flash won't phase him. Today wasn't one of those occasions. The scrapes and bruises from earlier hadn't healed yet, and now there was a fresh cut over his left eyebrow from the broken planter. Though he didn't seem as green as earlier. Lois shuddered to think of the state of his ribs. He was holding himself very tenderly. She winced in pity, feeling a smidge guilty for not letting him sleep longer.

"Well," Barry smiled conspicuously with Lois. "Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed." Mutely he gave her a ziplock bag with the noise-canceling headphones she asked for. "Good luck with that one," he whispered.

"I can still hear you!" Clark wailed. "My ears are perfectly fine!"

If Lois thinks she's going to keep me cooped up in this house she's got something else coming.