Second Chance At First Line ✵ 2.2

⚲ OUTSIDE THE McCALL HOUSE, Beacon Hills

Cali leans on the hood of Derek's car, using her super hearing to eavesdrop on the conversation happening inside the house. A smile plays on her lips as she hears Derek's movements across the roof, indicating that he probably left through the window.

Memories of a younger Derek sneaking out at night through his bedroom window flood Calista's mind. She recalls how, despite his attempts to be stealthy, Talia, his mother, always seemed to know. Even Peter's attempts to cover for him or keep quiet couldn't prevent Talia from catching him. It seemed like Derek's feet always managed to find a loose shingle, giving away his secret escapades.

Derek returns to the car, clearly frustrated. He swings open the passenger side door and commands, "Get in."

Cali gracefully slides off the hood of the car and begins to pace around Derek, folding her arms across her chest. "Weren't you a bit harsh in there?" she questions.

 "Weren't you a bit harsh in there?" she questions

"You should've came with me. Maybe then he would have listened."

"Sure." Cali responded sarcastically, "Like he's been listening to what I've been saying all this time."

Derek lets out a heavy sigh, his nostrils flaring with irritation. "Did you ever wonder why the alpha wants you in his pack?" he retorts.

"Yeah, I'm not in a pack," she shrugs casually. "I'm an easy target."

"Cali, you should stay close to me." Derek suggested, surprising the poor girl. His eyes scanning her features for any sign of rejection, a thing he feared the most from her in that very moment.

"Why's that?" she inquired, lifting an eyebrow in curiosity.

"Just think about it," Derek persisted, attempting to persuade her. "You were once part of our pack. Laura was the alpha before. And now he might come after -"

"Once part of," Cali interrupted bitterly, narrowing her eyes.

"You left." Derek stated bluntly.

"You kicked me out!" Cali's voice rose with indignation.

⚲ HALE HOUSE, Beacon Hills Preserve - 6 years ago

Calista pushed through the debris of the burned Hale residence, the smell of smoke still heavy in the air. The remnants of the house remained hot, showing no sign of cooling down. Tears streamed down her face as she surveyed the destruction, realizing how many lives were lost - Talia, Cora, Peter...

Laura stood with the police and firefighters, barely holding herself together as she contemplated the pack's next steps, considering what to do with Derek and Calista to ensure their safety as the new alpha.

Derek sat on the ground, cursing himself for getting involved with that Argent girl, consumed by extreme guilt.

Calista sat beside him, resting her head on his shoulder. He took her hand in his, their fingers intertwining. "It's all my fault," he choked out.