CHAPTER 27 - Synced blades

The silence between Levi and Erwin as they walked to the commander's office wasn't uncomfortable, considering what Levi had just interrupted. The commander didn't seem fazed. On the contrary, he seemed very calm, making it even harder for Levi to figure out what was happening between him and Rei. He knew of their past, so seeing them kiss made him even angrier. By then, he had already learned that the stinging, erosive feeling in his stomach wasn't anger.

Which was why he couldn't hold his tongue behind his teeth.

          "So, are you two... "

          "No," Erwin answered. "I don't think so."

          "Right."

          "We could never work," Erwin continued as if thinking out loud. "Besides, I think there's someone else for her."

Levi slightly slowed in his step for a moment. Hearing that brought up mixed feelings within him. The initial spark of satisfaction quickly disappeared when he remembered there were dozens of possibilities of who that man could be. He glanced up at Erwin, seeing a weird mix of emotions on his face, a rare sight.

          "Did you... love her?" Levi asked slowly.

Erwin looked at him with surprise. Levi wasn't known as one to ask such questions. Nevertheless, Erwin furrowed his brows, focusing on the hallway they were walking through.

          "I believe I did," he replied honestly. "But what does a 19-year-old know of love?"

Levi offered no reaction to that response.

          "There is no denying that Reinae is a captivating woman. I was not the only one who fell to his knees before her."

That, I believe, Levi thought.

On the morning of the mission, Levi was restless

On the morning of the mission, Levi was restless. Erwin's plan was risky, but that was not unusual. What he was worried about was one specific part of that plan.

          "You called for me?"

Levi tensed at the sound of Reinae's voice as she approached him and Erwin.

          "I did," Erwin replied, straightening his posture. "I have to talk to you."

Rei raised her eyebrows, her eyes darting to Levi.

          "I have a special job for you during this mission." Erwin unrolled the map he was holding. "I believe the number of Titans in this village might surprise us. Chaos could erupt, and the formation would be useless. If that will be the case, I need you and Levi working together."

Levi could see Rei's jaw tighten in an immediate opposition.

          "Working together how, exactly?" she asked slowly.

          "You two are the strongest. If you work together, the threat of Titans would be eliminated sooner and with fewer casualties."

Levi knew Rei was stubborn, but she wasn't stupid. And despite her visibly wanting to protest, she understood the possible efficiency of their teamwork and that Erwin was giving her an order.