CHAPTER 24 - Hope and Perseverance

[A green-eyed girl was kneeling before a woman sitting on a chair. The woman's face was thin and pale, her blue eyes empty. Her dark red curly hair had lost its shine. The girl placed one hand on her knee, holding a yellow flower in her other hand.

"Mom, remember these?" she asked with a thin voice. "Dandelions. You used to pick them for us all the time."

The woman offered no reaction. The girl's lower lip shook as she fought the tears.

"You said they symbolize hope. That because they grow and persevere even here, under the ground, we can persevere too."

The woman lightly lifted her head. Her blue eyes, which used to be so full of life and hope, were dead. The girl grabbed her hand, squeezing tightly.

"You can't give up, mom. Please... don't leave us too."]

The first thing Reinae saw when she opened her eyes was a dandelion in a glass frame on her table. She knew what day it was. She only dreamed that dream on one day of the year.

Getting out of bed and dressed was a struggle. Seeing Aiden in the Mess Hall was a struggle. His brow was furrowed, and it seemed like he didn't sleep at all. She sat beside him.

          "Want to ditch training and go drinking?" she asked without looking at him.

          "Fuck yes." They simultaneously stood up and left.

          "Hey! Where are you going?" Mila shouted after them.

          "Leave them be," Jasper said, his eyes filled with sorrow. "Leave them be for today."

Reinae and Aiden spent the whole day in Charlotte's pub

Reinae and Aiden spent the whole day in Charlotte's pub. They didn't speak, only drank. By the time it was dark outside and the pub started to fill with other people, Aiden barely kept his head up.

          "Another," Rei waved to Charlotte.

          "Can't you see Aiden's practically passed out?" Lottie asked with a worried expression.

          "Brother, do you want another?" Rei asked, leaning closer to him.

          "Why wouldn't I?"

          "See?" Rei said to Charlotte. "Another."

Whiskey made Rei's body comfortably numb. It also made her head spin, but at least she felt nothing. That's why she downed glass after glass. Unfortunately for Aiden, who was more of a beer drinker, whiskey didn't do much good. It wasn't long before he collapsed from his chair.

          "Ah, dammit, Aiden," Rei cursed. "One would think you'd hold your liquor better than your sister, who's half your size."

Aiden only muttered some incomprehensive words.

          "Need help?" Charlotte asked.

          "I got it, thanks," Rei groaned, grabbing Aiden's arm and pulling him up. Luckily, she was strong because almost no other woman her size would be able to practically carry Aiden's huge body out of the pub and onto the cold night air.