63 - The Winds Bring Forth

Arc 6 Prologue. The Flame's Last Breath.

The winds bring forth the flame's last breath. The end of a legacy long forgotten. In which a god finally makes his move. 

-

The sun was warm on his skin but Johann was still frigid. Weak.

As much as he wished for the release of this pain that held him by the throat with shackles and threats to turn him into a monster, Johann knew he could not escape this torment so easily. The principal had warned him—everyone did. That his overuse of Blood Rage would end with him writhing in pain, choking on his own blood, and on the brink of death.

And it made him feel even more useless, having to rely on Reginleif and her blood to make him feel sane.

The rescue ship that saved as many passengers as it could from the demise of the Yamal arrived a whole week later on a sunny island, far from the grasp of the cold winter air and icy waters. Over the course of the week, he'd been able to last three days without Reginleif's blood before the pain took him once again. She'd convince him he was doing better, but Johann knew Reginleif was not a liar.

He could see it in the darkness beneath his golden eyes, how they shined brighter with each passing day. He'd embraced them before, but now they were too much of a reminder of someone who was no longer by his side. A reminder that he was much too close to the end of his life.

However, it helped that Reginleif was such an energetic person.

When they arrived on the island it sparked an amazing amount of joy in her eyes, practically lit up her entire soul when she felt the warmth of the sand and the sun kissing her skin. He remembered how she'd smiled at him endearingly, eyes brimming with tears and for the first time Johann believed he'd see her cry.

But she quickly shook them away and grinned. Her enthusiasm had been a welcome distraction to the constant discomfort all throughout his body and mind.

He'd follow her like a lost puppy, watching as she engaged with things she'd never seen before, talking and laughing with people who didn't know the meaning behind being a holy saint and only saw Reginleif as Reginleif.

And she'd told him to meet her by the ocean by moonrise.

So Johann stood in place, his feet against the sand as he watched the moon's reflection ripple against the gentle waves of the sea. For a moment, the pain eased, and Johann could feel himself finally get a chance to relax.

There was no fire that burned inside his chest, nothing holding his throat and making it harder for him to breathe. Johann listened with a calm expression to the waves of the ocean.

Reginleif was surely still mingling, but it didn't bother Johann to wait a while longer. She enjoyed being in the spotlight, even after leaving the Yamal, while Johann was perfectly fine in his own company.

But his gaze suddenly fell and his limbs grew heavy, the ocean turned dark and Johann wondered if he was getting so weak he could not stand on his own.

But this drowsiness and weakened sense of self did not come from him—it had come from the foreboding sea.

The ocean called out to him like a song, a lullaby soothing him into an eternal rest.

There was no point in fighting this coming feeling of dread once he realized he was not in control of his own mind. The voices that soothed him also cursed him, a chant he was very familiar with.

Because, no matter how beautiful the scenery was, Johann suddenly remembered why he loathed the sight of bodies of water. The coming of a being that drew his breath and corrupted his mind with panic. The doorway of a god he'd met in a nightmare-turned-reality.

He found himself alone on the beach that night, and Johann could do nothing but watch as the ocean rose and took him into its maw.

-

And then, Reginleif found herself alone.

The gentle, warm breeze brushed through her long blonde hair as she found herself staring into the deep, dark, abyss of an ocean. One she was familiar with, yet these waters seemed much more sinister.

It dawned on her suddenly, why was she here?

She couldn't remember.

Reginleif checked her surroundings for a sign, an answer to her doubts and wavering heart.

Who was she waiting for?

She couldn't remember. 

-