Someone - Someday

Start from the beginning

“And I told you I don't want a relationship.” I state. “What part of it is inaudible to you?”

“Is it because I'm in the Mafia?” The disapproval was clear on his face. “Your family’s no more saint than I am. But you don't seem to have a problem with them.”

“I couldn't choose my family but I can choose who gets to be my boyfriend.” Or the stepfather to my twins.

“So it is the Mafia thing that's a throw off.” He says to himself then leans forward with his elbows on the counter top as if he's gonna present a great proposal. “I’m sure we can find a way around it. I can guess you don't like that innocents get hurt for the acquisition of some sort of Mafia’s interest. How about I prove to you that we try our best to make sure we don't let any innocent witness something accidentally, get involved by curiosity or find out something through a less guarded medium, so we won't have to kill them. And as I’ve told you earlier we don't partake in human trafficking and we have strict rules on how we treat women and children.”

I narrow my eyes. “You make it sound like you're doing a noble deed.”

“It's as good as it can be. Don't expect a Mafia to be a business based on law, we are the law.”

“I would rather prefer someone who follows the law.”

His eyebrows knit together at my words. “Why aren't you understanding this, it's unrealistic for you to expect a life outside of the Mafia. If you think you can just get a job and move out or perhaps marry a regular guy to escape this life, it's not gonna work, princess.” He explained like his life depended on it.

He straightened up to let me know how serious he is of his words. “Your father has successfully made a shit load of enemies and they very well know that attacking his honor is the best way of revenge. You are his honor and so you need protection.” He pauses and thinks his words through before speaking. “What I'm trying to say is that you have to be with someone who can ensure you will be safe and… who'll genuinely care about you.”

My mouth dries at the thought of how dangerous my life has become. I never considered it but it's true. I've been introduced to the Mafia world now and all of them know me.

It won't be too difficult for anyone to plan an attack on me or my babies. If I need to stay safe I need my family. I have to rely on someone protecting me my whole life.

I can never live a normal life.

Neither will my kids.

I gulp down the discomfort I'm suddenly feeling. “My family is very well capable of protecting me. I don't need anyone else in my life.”

“But you'll have to eventually settle down with a guy.” He argues then mutters the last part. “I hope not a girl.”

“Even if I wanted to, why would I ever choose someone who's constantly disrespectful to my family?” I cross my arms challenging him to argue.

“But I…” He fell silent when he couldn't come up with a valid counter to the question.

“Exactly.” I state and get back to packing up my stuff.

Most of the class has already left. Only five students remain who're discussing something about the class among themselves.

“What if I promise I won't disrespect your family again?” I shook my head at his persuasion. “I won't be rude to them, I won't belittle them, I won't threaten them and I won't even call your brothers ugly. Even if I’m mad I'll never ever pick a fight. Would you consider me then?”

“And why would you do that?” I turn back to give him full attention as I was curious about the answer. “You barely know me. Why would you change yourself for me?”