Gift

Adeline's Ροv

“Lucius, I was thinking whether we should take up Pietro's offer…” I tune out of the conversation and focus on the food in front of me.

Instead of dishes of food like we were served back at home which we can pick from according to our preference, we got already assembled plates.

I looked down at the fruit in my plate suspiciously. If I had to pick something to eat in the morning, I would never pick these. This is some weird combination of every species of plants.

“Can you eat my dragon fruit and avocado please?” I whisper to Cyrus.

He nodded, taking it from my plate. As the plate was a little empty now, I was more motivated to eat. I hate when my plate is overflowing —unless I’m starving— it pressurizes me and spoils my mood.

“The gala was a success again.” Lucius said. Of course such rich people wouldn't just throw a party to have fun.

“It was.” Mr Astor agreed. “Your daughter's appearance was a success too, wasn't it?” Confusion surged through me at his words and I decide to concentrate on what they're talking about. “You blended her in like she's always been a part of us and there’s nothing strange about you suddenly having a fourteen year old daughter.”

I thought the matter of my sudden appearance was sorted and Lucius’ excuse worked. Maybe Mr Astor is still suspicious. But who cares what he thinks? It's our personal matter.

“Sure it's strange but she is a part of us now, dad.” Reign comments licking his lips to hide a smile that's clearly visible to everyone.

Before I could get irritated by his weird attitude, his father spoke again. “I saw Canadians mingling around you all night. If I'm not wrong, they have a son yet to be married.”

“Yes, they do. He’s their only child and heir.” Lucius comments looking as relaxed as ever.

Reign puts his fork down with a thud. “He's nineteen.” He’s glaring at my father now.

Mr Astor looks at his son for a moment before speaking calmly. “Are you considering proposals for her?”

My eyes widen when I realize what all of this is about. I thought they were talking about business but they were talking about me as if I wasn't sitting here.

I didn't know that arranged marriages were still a thing in the west. But it makes sense that Mafias would do it to stay strong and in power. They don't care what their kids go through because of it.

A panic sets in me at the prospect of it actually being true. I've already had enough mishaps for a lifetime, I can't go through any more.

“I didn't do it to my boys, I won't do it to her.” Was all my father said and I sighed in relief.

Beside me Reign resumed eating and the rest of the table looked like they were done with the conversation too.

“How long have you been working for us, Valerie?” 

“Six years, Mr Astor.” She replied politely.

He didn't tell her to call him by his name and asked the next question. “So you didn't even have a degree when you started working in ER?”

“I didn't. My father got me the internship and taught me while I got my degree simultaneously.”

That doesn't sound legal. I wonder if everyone that's ever gonna be related to our family would’ve committed a crime one way or the other.