Mug Cakes

Adeline's Ροv

“Once you have all the ingredients perfectly combined without any lumps, you put it in, set it on high and it will be ready in two minutes.”

Julian finally puts the mug in the microwave and closes the door, setting up the timer. I watch each step closely and take notes of the quantities and process.

When I look at Reign, he’s still just leaning against the counter top with his hands shoved in pockets as he looks lazily at my brother's tutorial.

“Why are you even here, Reign?” I ask frustratingly.

I know Julian hates having to teach him, I know Reign doesn't want to bake, I know my whole family wouldn’t have had an argument on who gets to stay with me in the kitchen, I know I wouldn't have to dress up, I know I wouldn't be distracted if he wasn't here, then why couldn't he just cancel? 

It's not like I gave him false hopes of anything more than a friendship so why can't he just go back home if he doesn't plan on being serious about baking.

He straightened up. “For the assignment.”

“Then why do you look like you’d rather be anywhere else?”

“Because baking doesn't particularly excite me as a hobby.” He shrugs.

“Then why did you sign up for the workshop?” Ewan asks with his eyes strictly trained on him.

Ewan casually walked in the kitchen when we were getting started and took a seat at the breakfast bar with a stress ball in his hand. If I ask any sane person, all of this doesn't look unplanned.

Reign pushes a hand through his hair and takes his sweet time answering. “I said it doesn't excite me as a hobby, it's more like a passion for me.”

We all know it's a lie but none point it out.

“Is that so?” He nods to my question. “Name five ingredients Julian used.”

“Um… right… egg… sugar…” He’s clueless but he's still maintaining his confident posture.

“Go on.” I encourage.

“There better be milk and butter in there.”

“We used vegetable oil, not butter.” Julian points out.

“Same thing. I bet I can get the same results switching up the ingredients.” He says, annoyed, not appreciating the spotlight. I thought he liked attention.

“I'd like to see you do that,” Julian says and mutters the last part loud enough for everyone to hear. “If you can remember the recipe.”

“Let's just combine ours while Julian's baking.” I suggest, to get this over with as soon as possible and end everyone's misery.

“Nah, I’m good.” He replies nonchalantly.

“Alright then,” Ewan brought out attention to himself. “If you prefer to test it out at your home, you're more than welcome to leave.” He finishes politely.

“Actually, I changed my mind.” Reign snatches the mug I was offering him earlier. “I think I should give it a go, can't afford to get bad grades in something I love so dearly.”

I shake my head at his antics. He isn't even subtle about it. Everyone here can see through his senseless lies. I know it's only because of the high rank of his father that Ewan hasn't thrown him out yet.

But he sure is testing his limits. Even mine.

I start on measuring each ingredient and putting it in while Reign copies every step from me and does exactly what I am.