Helicopters and Tall Tales | Draco

DRACO'S POV

Harry introduced me to Hagrid. I have to admit, I'm kind of scared of that guy. He gave us tea, which was nice, and rock cakes, which were not.

He was nice bloke. We talked to him about our lessons. Well, Harry did most of the talking. I played with Fang. I liked him. Harry told Hagrid about Filch, and when Hagrid called him an old git, I had to laugh. I think it was obvious that he wasn't a fan of the caretaker and his cat.

Harry told Hagrid about our Potions class. I didn't mind it, but I guess that's just because Snape wasn't minding me the whole time. I don't blame Harry for hating the man. He was picking on him.

"Rubbish!" Hagrid said when Harry told him that Snape hated him. "Why should he?" He then asked Ron how his Weasley brother Charlie was doing. I think we all knew he was trying to change the subject.

Dinnertime came, and I joined my fellow Slytherins at our table.

~~~~~~~~~

I was excited the next morning. We were going to have our first flying lessons! Of course, I already knew how to fly, but it would be fun all the same, wouldn't it?

At breakfast, all anyone could talk about was stories about them on their brooms, and I don't know which were true or not. Theodore Nott told us a story about how the muggle cops were chasing him, but their pathetic cars were no match for his Comet. I doubted that. But lots of people I guess were just flexing, myself included. I told lots of detailed stories about narrowly escaping muggle helicopters. I will admit, each time was more extraordinary than the last, each slightly more unlikely than the last, but I had lots of people's attention, even some of the second years. I enjoyed fueling my own ego.

Once, I was telling a group of people how the helicopter muggles even pulled out one of those black thingies that shoot little dart-like things and fired, but missed me, when Harry and Weasley walked by. Harry said "It's called a gun," as he walked past, eyebrow raised and a hint of a smirk on his face. I rolled my eyes at him with a smile and continued the story of how I almost got shot with a gun.

These stories got a lot of attention from the ladies.

Who are all unfortunately, kinda ugly.

Also, in reality, I got dive-bombed by a crow. But that's only an interesting story if you were my enemy. Plus, that would definitely ruin my reputation.

That afternoon, I hurried down the front steps with my fellow Slytherins onto the grounds. It was a lovely day, sunny and breezy, perfect day for flying. The Gryffindors arrived about half a minute later.

I looked at the brooms lined on the floor. They looked very old. They might've been Cleansweep 6s or Comet 140s. Ugh. At home I had a Comet 260. Father said if I made the team next year he'd upgrade my broom.

Madam Hooch arrived. "Good afternoon, class," she greeted.

"Good afternoon Madam Hooch," we chorused.

"Welcome to your first flying lesson," she said. "Well, what are you waiting for? Everyone stand to the left side of your broomstick. Come now, hurry up!"

As we all shuffled into place, she said, "Stick your right hand over the broom and say 'Up!'" We did what she told us, everyone shouting up over and over, some succeeding, some failing, some getting hit in the face like Ron. I couldn't help but snicker.

I noticed Harry got it on his first try. Yay him, but so did I. Harry and I made eye contact and we both smirked. I don't know if we were smiling at our own brilliance or at Ron who was rubbing his nose and muttering something about his 'stupid broom'.