Robe Boy and Unicorn Hair | Draco

DRACO'S POV

After a lovely family trip to Gringotts, we went to buy my school things. We went to Madam Malkin's first. Father went to Flourish and Blott's to buy my books to save time. Mother left me with the squat little witch to get me fitted for robes. After about a minute of measurements, the bell above the door jingled and a nervous boy with black hair and glasses came in. 

"Hogwarts, dear?" Madam Malkin asked him. "Gotthe lot here – another young man being fitted up just now, in fact." She sent him to the stool next to me. 

"Hullo," I said, because the boy looked rather worried about being here on his own. "Hogwarts too?"

"Yes," he replied.

"My father's next door buying my books and mother's up thestreet looking at wands," I said. "Then I'm going to drag them off to look at racing brooms. Idon't see why first-years can't have their own. I think I'll bullyfather into getting me one and I'll smuggle it in somehow."

The boy didn't reply.

"Have you got your own broom?" I asked.

"No."

"Play Quidditch at all?"

"No."

What kind of person doesn't play Quidditch? It's the best game in the world!

"I do – Father says it's a crime if I'm not picked to play for myhouse, and I must say, I agree. Know what house you'll be in yet?" I really wanted to be a Seeker for Slytherin.

"No."

"Well, no one really knows until they get there, do they, but Iknow I'll be in Slytherin, all our family have been – imagine beingin Hufflepuff, I think I'd leave, wouldn't you?" I couldn't even begin to imagine how dissapointed Father would be. I reckon I'd be disowned if I came home with yellow robes.

"Mmm." Did this kid not speak?

"I say, look at that man!" There was a large hairy bloke outside who might've been half giant-he was huge!

"That's Hagrid," the boy said. "He works at Hogwarts."

"Oh, I've heard of him. He's a sort of servant, isn't he?" That's what Father had told me.

"He's the gamekeeper."

"Yes, exactly. I heard he's a sort of savage – lives in a hut in theschool grounds and every now and then he gets drunk, tries to domagic and ends up setting fire to his bed." 

"I think he's brilliant," the boy said, now with a cold tone.

"Do you? Why is he with you? Where are your parents?"

"They're dead." Oh. Oops. Um.

"Sorry." Ok, maybe I didn't really sound sorry. But how could I be sorry for something that wasn't my fault?

"But they were our kind, weren't they?" I hoped this kid wasn't a muggle-born.

"They were a witch and wizard, if that's what you mean."

"I really don't think they should let the other sort in, do you? They're just not the same, they've never been brought up to know our ways. Some of them have never even heard of Hogwarts until the letter, imagine. I think they should keep it in the old wizarding families." Father told me all about how the muggles stole magic from wizards long ago because they were jealous.

"What's your surname, anyway?" I hope it was one I perhaps recognised, and not from a muggle-born's family.

Before the boy could answer, Madam Malkin said that she was done with him, and he hopped right off the stool.

"Well, I'll see you at Hogwarts, I suppose," I told him. The boy left the shop and joined that giant Hagrid man who gave him ice cream. Ooh, I wanted ice cream so much.

A minute later, Mother came to fetch me. We went down the street to Ollivander's. I was really excited. After trying half of the wands in the shop, we found mine. It was 10 inches, made of hawthorn wood with a unicorn hair core. Finally, I had a wand of my own! I couldn't wait to be be able to do magic with it. We found Father at the entrance of Flourish and Blotts. We went and got a pewter cauldron and other things for potions, and after begging mother for ice cream, we were going home and I was happily licking an apple crumble flavoured cone from Fortescues's. 

We stopped at the Broom Shop, where I spent five minutes staring longingly at the Nimbus 2000, thinking back on my dream this morning. This broom reached 150 miles per hour! Father said he would buy me one if I made the Quidditch team next year. And he said he'd get me the Nimbus 2001 if it was out by that time! I couldn't wait for when I came of age to own a broom.

Of course, to do that I'd have to start by finishing year one.

I couldn't wait for September first.

◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊

A/N

I think this chapter was a little boring, what do you think?

Hope you enjoyed it to an extent 💀

I'm making Draco a little nicer in order for Harry to ever even consider being friends. In the book, Draco's sneering all the time, so here I'm gonna just blame everything on his father :)

See ya!