Brain Freeze

The next big logical jump was brain to machine communication

The next big logical jump was brain to machine communication. Called 'neurotech' early use cases involved helping people with severe neural or brain damage and helping them operate devices by just thinking about it . Elon Musk, Facebook Meta were all in fore front of this. Obviously, they thought they could serve, what else , better ads if they just knew what you were thinking at any point in time . 

Early devices were more complex and required brain surgey to implant these. But non-invasive devices were too bulky and obvious . They had several legal issues.

And then there was a firm in Israel which invented a small nanite , using a combination of electroencephalography (EEG) and transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), which enabled two people to exchange information without speaking or typing. Telepathy was now available for masses .

The governments wanted to 'know'what their opponents were thinking, Military wanted to go step further in manipulating the enemys thought patterns to win wars bloodlessly, lawyers wanted them like lie detectors or truth serums , poke into the culprits minds... and every girl wanted it - to know what their boyfriends were thinking. 

There were a few hiccups. Early models would sometimes freeze, and turning their hosts into zombies. But soon the glitches were removed.

For years, humans were busy making robots. Least they realised they themselves had turned into one.