Our Future

CW: vomit mention, nudity

Snow tapped against the window glass. Candles lit the dark room with a warm, orange glow. Plush sheets wrapped Lucas's body with gentle comfort.

His body ached, and he dared not move. Everything felt hazy. He was tired. Sweat glistened on his brow, his blouse soaked through. Exhausted. Horribly exhausted.

The walls were familiar, but he couldn't quite place them. Stone and wood, covered with winter tapestries. The castle. Somewhere in the castle. The smell, sweet lavender and cedar. He knew it. Vin. Vin's chambers.

The door creaked open, cautiously, drawing Lucas's attention. A slender, dark haired man entered the room. He was holding something delicately in his arms, and as he turned towards Lucas, the warm glow of the candle light flickered across his face. A tear soaked grin, so loving and kind. Lucas glanced at the bundle in Vin's arms.

Then he heard it. The soft cries of a newborn. His newborn.

"I think he's hungry." Vin spoke softly, carrying the bundle over to him.

"He?" Lucas squeaked, taking the baby into his arms.

His skin was rosy red through a lightly tanned complexion, and a few tufts of wispy, brown hair graced his head. He looked so much like Vin. Then, he opened his eyes. Shimmering gold, just like Lucas's.

Tears welled in Lucas's eyes as he held the newborn close. He peered up at Vin, a soft smile on his lips.

Lucas lightly stirred awake, Vin's arm wrapped around his middle. He could hear the vampire's rhythmic snores against his back, peaceful and deep. As much as he hated to slide away, his stomach churned uncomfortably, and bitter experience had taught him that waiting it out was never a viable option.

Sour saliva filled his mouth as he quickly shuffled out of bed, jogging to the door. He ripped the door open with only a few moments to spare as burning bile spewed from his mouth. He sputtered and choked, trying to catch his breath. Each heave brought more bitterness to his tongue. Finally, the churning of his stomach settled—even if still uneasy—and he stood, hunched over, catching his breath. A gentle hand rubbed his back.

"Are you okay?" Vin asked softly.

"Mm- yeah." Lucas grunted, straightening up.

Vin held out a cup of water to Lucas, which he gladly took, swishing out his mouth with a large gulp.

"Everything hurts." Lucas sighed.

"I know." Vin wrapped his arms around the sore werewolf, nuzzling into his muscular back. "Do you want me to get the bath ready?"

"Yes, please. And a ginger tea."

"Anything else, your highness?" Vin giggled.

"Don't push it." Lucas joked, placing his hands over Vin's.

"You'll have to get used to it, you know."

"The hell I will." Lucas shot back.

A muffled chuckle vibrated into the werewolf's back, as Vin rubbed a gentle thumb over his belly. Then, Lucas remembered his dream. Hazy and blurred, but still strongly present in his mind.

"Vin?" Lucas started, his voice slightly unsure.

"What is it, love?" Vin slowly withdrew his arms, and Lucas turned to face him.

"Do you remember when I requested safe passage for the villagers of Oakhill to Tellima?"

"Of course."