Curses and Burdens

Carmilla knelt in the garden near the rose bushes, the fragrant floral scent wafting through the gentle breeze. Despite summer soon coming to an end, the flowers bloomed with the same brilliance as they had in spring, their bright colors beautifully contrasting against the lush greenery of their hosts. Angelique certainly did have a way with flowers, just as Alistair had said.

She delicately folded her hands into her lap and closed her eyes, taking slow, deep breaths. Her body relaxed, and her mind calmed as she began to meditate. That moment, amongst the flowers, was the only moment that existed, and she found herself fully melting into it, becoming one with the garden. It wasn't until she felt the soft vibrations of growing leaves that she truly realized how long overdue she was for an energy cleansing.

"I was wondering when I might find you here." A voice came from behind the young queen, snapping her from her meditation.

Carmilla glanced over her shoulder, meeting the green eyed gaze of a young, red haired woman. In her arms was a woven basket filled with freshly picked flowers. Dark gray tights clung to her thin legs, a loosely fitting blouse hanging past her hips, belted with a braided leather cord.

"Angelique," Carmilla greeted, "my apologies if I intruded."

"Of course not." Angelique smiled. "It is your garden, after all."

"It's your labor. I can hardly feel justified in claiming something as my own that I had no hand in building." Carmilla replied, returning her gaze to a rather large rose, lightly bobbing in the breeze. "As far as I'm concerned, it's more yours than anyone's."

Angelique knelt down beside the queen, delicately resting the basket on the ground in front of her, ensuring none of her harvest spilled from its wicker confines.

"This garden belongs to the castle. I merely maintain it, and harvest it as needed." The witch stated kindly. "Either way, you're entitled to use it however you wish."

"Thank you." Carmilla replied, softly.

They spent a few moments in peaceful quiet, admiring the witch's handiwork. However, the longer Angelique sat with her, the more she could feel the queen's energy fluctuating. It felt a bit like a dark cloud fighting against the sun. There were times when Carmilla's energy would glow so brightly that it would nearly blind the third eye, and then it would dampen, as if a shadow had haphazardly waltzed between them. Even though Carmilla's face remained calm and still, within her, a deluge of emotions were brewing.

"You're troubled." The young healer spoke with concern.

"I suppose that's one word for it." Carmilla replied, stoically. "I thought the garden would help. Well, it did help, in a way. It's just..." She sharply exhaled through her nose, her face beginning to betray her bluff. "I'm not quite sure what else to do to help."

"Then perhaps I can." Angelique smiled kindly, her wavy red hair curling delicately around her thin face. "I am a healer, after all."

Carmilla thought for a moment, lightly nibbling at her bottom lip, before reaching out and plucking a rose bud from the bush, allowing it to rest on her flatly extended palm. Easing her mind, her breathing deepened. She closed her eyes, directing all of her focus towards the small bud. Slowly, and with great hesitation, the petals began to shuffle, leisurely opening. Carmilla clenched her jaw and furrowed her brows as she strained, but the flower refused to open any further beyond a half bloom. Finally, she opened her eyes, defeatedly holding the stunted rose out towards Angelique.

The young witch studied the half opened flower, bewildered, her eyes darting confusedly between the queen and the rose.

"That's all I can manage." Carmilla added, dejectedly.