Chapter 2 - The Crown

A petite, young, red haired maiden fastened the final button on the prince's maroon surcoat. Elegant goldwork embroidery complimented the tailored outfit. The woman gently smoothed out the coat, then stood back, clasping her hands in front of her.

"You look exquisite, your highness." Her voice was soft and delicate. Small, reddish freckles speckled her round face, which was framed by curly red hair, most of which was pulled into a loose braid trailing down her back.

"Thank you," Vin replied, "you're dismissed." His voice was low and flat, but he attempted to fake a small smile for her sake.

The young maid curtsied, and Vin nodded his head slightly, before she scurried out of the room and down the hall. Lucas was leaning against the wall beside the doorway, arms folded across his chest, a pleasant smile gracing his lips.

"She's right, you know." Lucas affirmed as he watched the well-dressed man study his reflection in the large, ornate mirror.

"Mm..." Vin acknowledged.

Lucas walked up behind the prince, and placed his hands on his rigid shoulders, lightly trailing them down his arms, before gripping them firmly and burying his face in his neck. Vin felt the knight's soft lips brush against his skin. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply, losing himself in the comfort of his lover's touch. Gently pulling away, he turned to face Lucas, running his fingers over his cheek, and pushing a chin-length strand of hair behind his slightly pointed ear. Vin's slender fingers wandered across Lucas's chiseled jaw, brushing over the blonde stubble on his chin. As he did, his eyes grew mournful, and his relaxed smile faded.

"What is it?" Lucas asked concernedly, eyes darting across Vin's features. He gently cupped the prince's face in his calloused hand. Vin's eyes fell away from his, instead focusing on the strong knight's chest.

"Once this day is done... everything will change." Vin's voice shook with a subtlety easily missed by most.

"What are you talking about?" Lucas leaned down slightly, trying to pull Vin's gaze back to his.

"I'll be king." His voice was small, nearly a whisper.

"And a great king you will be." The knight's voice was firm, but gentle. Despite his assurance, the prince's face was still cloaked in melancholy.

"You don't understand." Vin pulled away and turned his back to his lover, coldly. "I never wanted to be king." He shook his head, crossing his arms tightly. "I knew it was inevitable, but I didn't think 'inevitable' would come today." His brows were knit together. "At the very least," he started, "at the very least, I thought that when the time came for the crown to fall to me, this... would have been behind me." He sharply gestured to Lucas, his voice still low.

"What do you mean?" Lucas found himself taken aback by the prince's harsh sentiment, concern now morphing into frustrated confusion.

"You know what I mean, Lucas! You know what the crown means for me!" Vin's voice trembled as his eyes welled with tears.

Vin was right. Lucas did know what the crown meant for him. The obligations that befell the king being a long standing tradition of the royal bloodline. It was something Lucas hadn't thought about, a small fact that he had chosen to ignore. Somehow, in the depths of his soul, he genuinely believed their love would transcend it.

"It doesn't have to be that way-"

"IT DOES!" Vin spat back. "It does..." His voice trailed off as he sank to the floor, head cradled in his hands.

Lucas stood still, watching the prince bow his head towards his knees, fingers interlaced across the back of his neck. He didn't know what to do. The day he believed would never come, had come to pass. His body ached.