Unexpected Consequences

Hazy morning sun rays cascaded through the window across Lucas's face, causing him to stir. He cracked his eyes open slightly and reached an arm across the bed behind him, expecting to be met with Vin's warmth, but instead was greeted by a chilled emptiness. Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, he turned to face the vacant space where Vin had lain the night before. The blankets were cold.

Letting out a sigh, he pushed himself out of bed and shuffled into the kitchen where the ashes and coals in the fireplace still smoldered. He prodded at the glowing embers as he put another dried log over them. Giving the coals a couple decent blows, the log finally caught fire and Lucas moved to heat the kettle. His throat felt a great deal better, but still carried a raw scratchiness that proved to be mildly annoying.

He pulled the remaining heel of stale bread from the box on the table, and nibbled on it apprehensively. His stomach was still a little unsettled, but he couldn't tell if it was from not eating much over the last day, or because his moon cycle was still proving to be an unwelcome pest. At least the bread—despite being less than appetizing—was neutral enough to provide him some sustenance. He couldn't bring himself to eat anything else, though.

He filled his mug with hot water and ginger tea, just as Vin had the night before, and waited for it to steep. The scent wafting from the cup wasn't as pleasant as he'd hoped it would be, but he did his best to ignore it. As much as he'd hoped that he would be back to normal by now, he was at least glad that he didn't presently have the urge to vomit.

As the tea cooled, he slammed it down as best he could, holding his breath to avoid the spicy aroma triggering an unpleasant response. The heat singed his taste buds, making his tongue feel odd and fuzzy. Every couple gulps, he would pull away and gasp for air through his mouth, before going back in for more. Reaching the final swallow of the steaming beverage, he slammed the mug on the table with a loud thud, and wiped his mouth on his sleeve. Dewy sweat had moistened his forehead, which he also wiped away as he sat hunched over the table, propping his head up with his hand.

His stomach churned uncomfortably for a moment, and saliva began collecting under his tongue, before eventually subsiding. Sighing with relief, he found his fingers tracing the rim of the mug as he pondered the events of last night. He hadn't felt that ill in years. Even lingering pain more severe than this didn't have him this nauseous. Was it the emotional stress amplifying it? He wondered.

Despite feeling unwell, he was glad Vin had insisted on staying with him a while, even if he did leave before he'd awoken. Lucas missed the early mornings where they would find themselves wrapped in each other's arms after long, passionate, nights. Even if he was a secret, he would gladly sneak out of Vin's chambers a million more times if it meant he could kiss his soft lips and hold him close. He'd do almost anything to feel that again.

Lucas had fallen asleep in Vin's arms after finishing his tea. Part of him wished he'd been able to stay awake, to savor every forbidden moment, but the calm of his former lover wouldn't allow it. The rise and fall of the vampire's chest as his fingers gently ran through the knight's sandy hair was the most relaxing feeling in the world. He craved it, and was angry at himself for wanting it. He'd tried so hard to put a wedge between them because that was what he was supposed to do. He needed to pull himself away, for the sake of the kingdom, and for the sake of the king. But instead, he confessed his love to him on the night of his courting party. He pulled the bricks from the wall he'd so desperately tried to build, and now he was right back where he started. Waking up alone with the sweet scent of his former lover clinging to his pillow, and eating stale bread, pretending that was all he needed.

Shaking the pity from his thoughts, he pushed himself up from the table and got dressed.

"How could you?!" Marion's voice echoed throughout the great hall. "You knew how important last night was!" She huffed, pacing angrily. "Do you have any idea what you've done?!"